Best Cool-down exercise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garlory84, May 31, 2011.

1. dogtre1

dogtre1 New Friend

Apr 3, 2008
    I am not a pro either, I am a comeback player, only a year in. I end my sessions with a slurr scale up, from low g to high c. holding as long and as soft as I can. I do this only to increase and keep my lip and face muscles. tight, and hopefully become stronger. also I think its good for my tone

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I am not sure the comparison is appropriate. No matter how sophisticated, an airplane is much more simple than a human body. Having some familiarity with both fields, I dare say that the amount of knowledge necessary and the complexity in integrating that knowledge are vastly superior for a doctor making a clinical judgment call, especially with a complicated patient presenting multiple co-morbidities. Sometimes, no course of action presents enough potential benefit to be justified but the pressure is on to just do something, anything.

In addition, physicians have the difficulty of having to sort out an enormous amount of scientific evidence. This has become a tremendous problem, given the quantity and variety of papers published every day that can be relevant to therapies. I'm sure that, given "ideal" conditions to practice, most docs would do the best thing for each patient. However, when an internist has to cover for 60 patients over night, each decision can be only so refined.

3. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I'm cheating and fast forwarding to the end.. very long discussion thread... my suggestion would be (If you needed it) to not do anything with the instrument itself (although playing pedal tones might help) but instead before and after playing you could do a lip flutter. Working on your breathing .. deep breaths in through the nose and blow out through the mouth doing lip flutters. This will help get blood circulation moving in the area of your chops and good to warm up with and can help with after playing.

For the record.. I rarely do anything to 'warm down' and stepping away from playing will naturally rest the muscles as well.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    oh - we better ask rowuk how many gin and tonics he consumes in order to cool down after a gig -- I hope it is not in excess,, mmmm. maybe the American govt. can subsidize those gin and tonics for him, mmm maybe we already do,ROFLROFL

ps. I still like to end my practice sessions with low notes and a few pedals:-P:-P

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think the OP should be greatly amazed that his simple question generated so many different answers -- MY goodness that is what a forum is supposed to be.

garlory84 your are number 1 - and you should still continue to ask these type of questions --- it generates enthusiasm and responsiveness - even if you didn't find your answer - --- it is all good

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am not here to be "right", I am here to make you think.

I do have a personal, not often shared view of warm ups and downs though. Define them as "rituals" and you will see that it is not as cut and dry as muscle tissue would have you believe. Because most of us have a psyche that is as powerful as any practice routine, let me just state that if you BELIEVE in a warmup/down, no amount of science can change that. It is very good to limit psychological dependencies BUT if you play better knowing that a certain 10, 15, 30 minutes was celebrated in a consistent way, then who am I to criticize that?

My advantage is that I can get to church late on Sunday morning, pull the horn out of the case and make a joyful noise. That gets me rehired. Some colleagues get to church late and start with an excuse. That does not get them rehired. If you have a dependency, you simply need to allot time for it. All that counts is what comes out of the bell. Do what you have to do.

I am not a big gin and tonic type in the land of unlimited beer varieties. Because I drive most of the time, I drink what we call an Apfelschorle after playing. Carbonated mineral water and apple juice.

I think that I am going to downplay alcohol for a while. A musician friend got run over by a taxi after having a bit too much. He died last Sunday and the memorial service is Friday. He was a student of mine for three years and sat next to me in wind band for the last 5. We have an open air with the band tomorrow. I'll miss him.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I must agree on this one -- when I am asked/volunteer to play a song in church - I always pick one that I can play "cold" - in that I would need no warmup to play the song gracefully and in decent tone.
    However, I have always gotten to church on time, and have always had the opportunity to warm up.

ps. also I use the practice room upstairs in the church, and have always "cooled" down by playing a low song, or a few low notes -- not that I would have to -- but I just like ending on a good note - or two. but that is me -- and that is what I do. to each his own. play and be happy:thumbsup:

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sorry to hear about your friend Robin.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Rowuk,
    Psych out trumps muscle physiology every time! Great post!

Also, I am so sorry to hear about your student/friend. I lost a student once to a mugger in NYC, such a loss hurts deeply. Again, my thoughts go out to you at this time.

10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Rowuk,

Mind over matter for sure. And, I am sorry for your loss. terrible.

BrotherBACH