Best Cool-down exercise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garlory84, May 31, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Agree, mind over matter ...... that's the only way to play a trumpet. Sorry to hear about your friend, Robin.

Turtle

2. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    When I play with the brass ensemble at church on the days that we have performances we have a quick rehearsal before everyone else gets to church. I don't have a problem being 'warmed-up' but some times run into the issue of my instrument being warmed-up as it sets on the stand waiting for me to get up to perform and on a few days seemed like it was frigid. I keep thinking how odd would it look if I got a personal space heater to keep my trumpet at a nice toasty temperature. (I'm not serious although a 'trumpet warmer' would seem nice)

Speaking of rituals... I have noticed from there as well as the corporate band that I play in that everyone has their own method for warming up, and most people are rushing out afterward and don't have time for 'warm-downs'.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I drilled a hole in the top of a trumpet stand and put an aluminum tube with a 10W 12V halogen lightbulb in it (with a cheap 12V power supply). The aluminum tube is deeper in the bell than the stand. It gets warm enough to keep the horn at operating temperature without burning the house down.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It must be confusing when you have to cross the street. Do you use the crosswalk? (you could go through the sewer)

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    That has to be the most clever trick I ever heard of to take care of this problem!
    Sorry about your loss, best thoughts to you.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I'm sorry about your friend Robin, this may not be the appropriate post -- but I just want to remind people to "be a good friend to the friends that you do have" -- and to also, always, no matter how bad it hurts -- go through the whole grieving process, for that is the healthiest solution.

-- I (and I am sure others) have remained "numb", distant, and even in denial that death is a part of life at certain points and for certain friends/family members that I(we)have lost.

Anyways - not to make a long post -- Matthew 5:4
    Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
    IS a very very true statement.

7. garlory84

garlory84 New Friend

May 29, 2011
    WELP...can't say my question was answered but I have found what may be friends and enemies.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hey, this is the thread I remembered today with the discussion about the "cool down". Anyway, I've come to realize that if you want to "cool down" it's mental but not needed for your lips. When I play in church, and am done, there's noway to cool down. "Excuse me pastor, I need to cool down or damage may occur to my lips". There may be damage from an usher dragging me out by them though. ROFL

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Couldn't agree with you more on that account Tobylou... Speaking of mental, how are you doing?

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm fine and so am I!