Best Cool-down exercise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garlory84, May 31, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That's what I thought. You really need to schedule another follow up visit with me next week. Got a great idea on how we can adjust the meds (you know... for our "cool down" exercises).

2. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    I usually play maybe 30 seconds worth of low tones and/or pedal tones and then put her to bed. The low tone-age and pedals is just to get some blood flowing ... sort of like the horse like lip flutter that Bobby Shew has talked about. Of course, you can do that without the horn while watching The Outer Limits or Twilight Zone.

3. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Kissing! If you can't find a person, try it on a pet..if you don't have a pet..try it on a domesticated animal like a dog or cat...avoid doing this with animals such as lions, tigers, bears....O Mi....

kingtrumpet likes this.
  4. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    On a somewhat related note, my teacher in college, Ray Mase, told me he never warmed up because he played so much, he was always warmed up...I found this to be true too...

p.s. - Can anyone send some young ladies my way so I can practice my cool down exercise??

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You got a creature in your avatar!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The bus has left the station. Be gentle!

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    My warm down technique was perfected over the years playing in Brass Bands. It's simple and effective. Bung the instrument in its case as fast as possible and get in the pub. Never fails. :cool:

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The only instance that I can think of that requires emergency physical cool down is when one has an extreme fever, but I've heard that Docs induce a chill to sustain life for some patients. I just put my instrument in a secure place and sit down, then closing my eyes for a minute or so ... aka relaxing. Then its the tedium of wiping down my instrument including an internal swab of the lead pipe. If I then have to transport my instrument and equipment that is another task.

9. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    I use loose lip buzzing to get the blood back into the lips and clear out any lactic acid that has developed.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That would work... I also like to us massage to do this... seems to get a response very quickly this way.