Best Double Trumpet Case For Overseas Traveling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JustinG007, Dec 26, 2011.

1. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    I fly a lot for work. I currently carry a pocket trumpet but am thinking about starting to carry some of my larger horns Bb, or C, or Ed/D (for example). Since I can't always predict the size of my airplane, I need to plan a worst case of having to gate check.

I assume that I could gate check a Torpedo, if I had to and I was only carrying one horn, and walk out unscathed. But if I had my Eb/D, I’d want to carry a Bb or C with me as well. So far, I like the RawBrass 100 and Torpedo's Coyote the best. Does anyone have thoughts about checking in or gate checking either of these cases? Or do you have another that you like better?

I expect anything that I travel with will need to take some abuse. I’m very careful with my tools and equipment, but I don’t always have a choice what happens to them … know what I mean?

So far, I like the Raw Brass case better, because it looks like it’ll take the abuse, but I’m a little put off because I’ve emailed them a couple simple questions over the last month and there hasn’t been any response. (I’m a sucker for good customer service).

The coyote looks nice. At the same time, I’m a bit concerned because its lid is held on by a zipper (albeit a thick one, but still).

Any thoughts to quell my fretting? :oops:
    (Just want to do it once and do it right)

2. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I would look at the Bona double, raw brass and torpedo. Those are all going to go over head and will survive being checked.

Might use my simple criteria graph to hone the search.

Hi Kids how to pick a trumpet case. - YouTube

Good luck

Jon

3. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I tour regularly, and use a rawbrass case when I need more than one instrument. I cannot stress enough how impressed I am by the case to handle any situation (and believe me it has taken a beating!). It is carry-on size, and as it doesn't look like an instrument case, I have never been questioned or prevented from taking it on board. For performances that only need one horn, I use my torpedo bag.
    All the best,
    Adrian

4. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thanks Jon. I’ve pretty much done this and I’m down to the RawBrass and Coyote. I just looking for feedback on the two cases and their customer service at this point.

Btw, thank you for your videos.

Thanks Adrian. I appreciate your feedback and experience. This is the solution that I’m leaning toward and will probably go with.

[HR][/HR]

Adrian, Jon and others - are the RawBrass cases reconfigurable? Reconfiguration is not a feature that i'm really looking for, but i'm trying to understand whether I should order the 2 trumpet or the 2 trupet and piccolo configuration.

Rowuk's feedback, that taking the Bb and C may simply be "unnecessary risk," makes a lot of sense. I can also see that taking a C and Piccolo in a 2 trumpet case would only require some extra padding.

Other than the option to carry 3 horns - do you perceive any pros/cons to the 2 trumpet versus the 2 trupet and piccolo configuration?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  5. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Fred, yes you can customize the raw brass 100 case. I use it mainly as a trumpet/flugel case - with the trumpet sitting underneath the flugel - but have also used it as a triple case, with a Bb, C, and D trumpet sitting side by side (though this is a tight fit, the horns don't seem to mind ;-)). As a triple you could easily put a Bb and C in there, and use the middle section for mutes etc. The extra pads are not too expensive, i don't think - get the trumpet/flugel combo with extra pads to reconfigure it to the double/triple layout.
    Cheers,
    Adrian

6. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    If you are looking at the Coyote I would give them a call and talk to them about what you are going to be doing. The bag has a laptop lid and some options the raw brass dosent have. Either case is a winner and customer service will be stellar on both. Take a good look at the options on the torpedo. As far as longevity I think the raw brass may have a slight edge. It really is a toss up and would come down to options and what my travel needs were. Again either case you win.

Jon