Best Embouchure Excercises??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ADDER, Jul 12, 2008.

1. ADDER

ADDER Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    London UK
    What are they? Is slurring the best thing to do? Pencil between the lips for strength?
    I find that I'm OK going up and down scales but when it comes to holding certain notes for any length of time I loose my embrouchure.. Only been playing for a few months but it does wind me up.

Any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Geoff

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    pencil, chop sticks, free buzzing... or ya, slurring! :thumbsup:

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Long tones played softly wth an even pitch & soft controled lip slurs.

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best exercizes depend on what you are going to do with your embouchure. Learning to kiss needs different muscle patterns than a double C.

This question is actually not formulated right. The reason is because the exercizes, whatever they may be do not determine what happens with your face. YOU determine that! It is YOUR dedication and preserverence, it is YOUR attention to detail that makes any method work or not. There are several methods to train your face, most of them lead to the same results and therefore are equal.

The BEST exercize is a decent daily routine with breathing exercizes, buzzing, longtones and slurs. MINIMUM 20 minutes DAILY. On top of that comes the stuff to make you better: repertory and technical studies, in that order.

Do not get hung up with best method, best hardware, best anything. The major factor is best EFFORT on YOUR side. Everything else is just an excuse to wait!

People that demand perfection never get anything done and blame that on the imperfect world around them. People that work to be the best they can be move mountains!

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    A teacher is a good idea. And it will all be not right until it becomes right. Patient application wins the day.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The exercises that make us tired are the best ones. Find what tires you out and practice that more, and as Richard said, patient application wins the day!