best fingering for A flats and A's

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joshuasullins, Nov 11, 2005.

1. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    Josh Sullins is one sexy dude!

-Carl Hess, SOA'98

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    :lol:

I just realized I was talking an octave below what you were asking about Josh. Whoops! I thought you meant the Ab/A one line above the staff....not many. LOL.

3. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    Manny,

Results! Eureka! Results! Ok, good news. I am getting results. hehe
    I am starting on the G and chromatically going to A flat and A using normal fingerings, concentrating on playing on the lower end of the note, and it is really starting to lock for me. What is more, is that I stuck my PRANA mouthpiece in, which has been useless for me until now, and it opened up everything. Amazing. I have really never played an A with so much zing and power. It wore me out after about an hour and a half of just doing that over and over again. I couldn't help it, I was happy. hehe
    Thank you so much. Hopefully with some practice and some more patience, I can in fact get those notes to slot ALL the time!

Thank you so much.

V/R
    Joshua Sullins

4. joshuasullins

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    haha
    Alright, I was wondering about that. I was actually trying to use the slides, though. I got out the tuner and I was like, "this doesn't seem to be having a very significant effect." LOL

Thanks anyway, I appreciate your time and knowledge.

V/R
    Joshua

5. joshuasullins

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    [/quote]
    Josh Sullins is one sexy dude!

-Carl Hess, SOA'98[/quote]

Nice! How are you Carl? I didn't know you were on here!
    Is Sean on this site too?

6. joshuasullins

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    The Wild Thing does in fact slot notes above high C better than any other trumpet I have played. It kills my Bach, and even my Calicchio... I don't think it is the trumpets fault in this case. I have always had the problem with the sketchy A's. Definitely user error.

Weird, I have a friend who uses first valve for A flat and second valve for A... and I too would MUCH rather blow a Bflat over an A. Usually if I have to play an A at the end of a song or on a hit (anything that isn't actually a melodic line...) I just try and find a higher note that works just as good and call it a day. I am just sick of it and want a solution. hehe

Thanks,
    Joshua Sullins

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I made myself laugh because here I am giving you advice on how to play this tiny little call out of Don Juan and you were asking about much more challenging things on the opposite end of the spectrum......sorry for the misunderstanding. LOL

FYI....Manny's advice is great for how to approach the entire register of the horn. ;-)