Best Foreign Language to Learn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Dec 3, 2011.

1. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    Hi all,
    I really want to be a professional trumpet player, and I'm thinking that if I broadened my job search to the international level, I'd probably have better luck actually getting a job. What I want to know is: what non-English speaking countries do I have the best chance of finding work in and what are the best languages for me to learn to help me find a job? Side-note: I play classical music mostly, but I'm also studying jazz, so either option is available to me.

Thanks much.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Professional trumpet players in Germany get more money and respect than most in Europe, and they make great beer and cars. On the down-side, Bavarian women have the thickest calves in Europe (French have the skinniest). Southwest Germany is closer to France and there is plenty of Bach being played. Good food, too.

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    German, hands down. BTW, since English was primarily derived from Germanic language it is not that diffficult.
    Also German blondes are beautiful and appreciate the art and the artist. Also Germans are known for their advancement
    in trumpets. Gemans like rotary trumpets so save up for one.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I would pick the Mediteranean romance languages -- Spanish, Italian, French --- of course -- that depends on where you want to live --- you could also try learning Aussie (which is a derivitive of REAL English) but is spoken by those down under, and pretty much those in the UK. ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Germans have more swear words and better.

6. NeonMarmot

NeonMarmot New Friend

Sep 25, 2010
    I'm not sure if I'm taking this too seriously or not, but here goes...

I feel as though the 'breed' of words that come out of your mouth are irrelevant to the fact of whether or not you can make a living playing the horn. Use the time you would spend learning German and put it towards your passion. Hard work, motivation, emotion, and playing level will ultimately determine where your horn takes you, not a language.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Learning to speak "Strine" would not be of much help as there are few well paid trumpet jobs down here. All you need is "G'diyhourgoinmiteorlrite"

Regards, Stuart.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    HAH! Do you speak/write German precisely? Just curious.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The language of LOVE is foreign to most. I think that is the most important.

Love others as you love yourself, means that your love for yourself needs to be pretty mature to be able to spread it around. It also explains why tyrants kill their enemies, and eventually themselves. That explains a lot of train wrecks on stage too!

Love is the first step to musical performance.

After that, Chinese will probably get you a job................

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Must be a different Germany than the one that have been living in since the 70's. The blondes are fat and work for the government. They make building and work permits hard to get. The art/arts are only affordable at churches for concerts by the church choir. All of the big stuff is event managed and expensive, just like in the states. German trumpet players like beer, so you can guess the state of their trumpets. I can't think of any real "advancement" in German trumpets, other than the standard watchmaker precision that has been around for centuries.

Ich behaupte alles sei eher Wunschdenken. Deutschland ist ganz normal.