Best Foreign Language to Learn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Dec 3, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes amusement parks can be distracting. Too you have a wife and young daughter to appreciate and LOVE. Too, depression is a symptom of someone that has NOTHING to look forward too, a family actually should lessen any depression you may experience -- if said family loves you as much as you love them!! Too, reading may be distracting, health may be an issue -- BUT you have yet a legacy and a heritage, and yet a family to hand that down to. Too - life is life, and Jesus never promised you a perfect life, free from pain, and agony, and hardships ---- but He did promise to save you. Too, however you may view your life as slightly incapacitated --- OTHERS view you in their own perspective. TOO, I am sure there are many who view YOU more IMPORTANT to their lives and the world, THAN YOU view yourself as.....................................OK, Too, that should be enough for now. Too, I mentioned "religion" in a post, oh my, I may get ousted this time for a few weeks --- but TOO, HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS -- TOO, TIS THE REASON FOR THE SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No need to reiterate all you stated, but such "park" scene is history as such was about 1980 at Kings Dominion in VA when I was recovering from back and hip surgery. I also watched some of their shows, many as were musical. Our daughter is now 43, has been married and we now have a granddaughter soon to be 10. Yes, THE MAN (that's correct) has kept me here for something even though he hasn't told me. Sure, I've had bouts of depression with all my health issues, but not manically so.

Consider my first comeback to my brass instruments was 2006 to mid 2009 in which I believe I regained 90+% of my best former capability. It is only in August of 2011, that I again put an instrument to my lips, and though I realize I've now probably lost forever as much as 25% of my former capability, what is left is still enjoyable, now sufficent for me to sound TAPS locally, and after all the Church programs let out Christmas eve to come to a local caroling at the gazebo behind the Courthouse where I'm up on the program to render a euphonium solo of Silent Night and the 4 beginning 5th graders I've been tutoring will render a simple arrangement of Hark! The Herald Angels Sing in unison on TRUMPET. YES, Life is enjoyable in company with my wife! Joyeux Noel, Felicis Navidad, and Merry Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  3. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    I need to ask: are we discussing situational, seasonal, or clinical depression? As someone that's been battling clinical and situational depression for several years now, I feel comfortable saying that the best advice and comfort given is worlds, nay galaxies apart, depending on what your facing. My heart goes out to you, and know that you're not the only "fighter"

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    life is ONE DAY AT A TIME for most everyone

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I haven't discerned much of a difference ... when a bout of depression ingulfs your being the consequences are about the same and tough to cope with. When I could, I found a lengthy run was beneficial to subdue the effects, moreso when it was out in the country side in the springtime. I still enjoy strategy board games like chess, go, and cards. NOW my optimum is playing my musical instruments and doing a little tutoring. From time to time my plan now includes enrolling in some non-musical courses at the nearby community college, editing a novel I wrote, and managing my father's estate. Activity! Activity! Activity! The mental dance of life! Goodbye dreariness and frustration! Then too, each of my days now ends up next to my wife and dreams.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    HahKey,
    might I also mention that certain substances (ie. alcohol) while initially making you feel elated, actually compound the problems of depression. Sunlight helps for seasonal depression -- and I agree with Ed, activity, activity, activity --- BUT make that constructive activity by playing music, or helping others that are less fortunate than you. --------when you feel a situation of depression arise ------ then take yourself OUT OF THAT ARENA --- if you get depressed by being alone, then when onset comes on, go be with people ---(ie. family, friends, the mall, etc) - - don't isolate yourself because of what you think others think of you. .......................

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As I'm now not that stable on my feet, and I carry a card indicating such (even one for my car), I use a store scooter whenever they are available and such does bring back memories of having ridden Bumper Cars at amusement parks, but I now can't take such jolts to my back.

Even so, from now until about mid January, I'd prefer to avoid malls and stores, but I often go from one coffee shop to another whereas here about it seems I always encounter someone I now have come to know, and if not I've always my paperback book to read.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nothing like a good book eh Ed?

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yup! The best is the black bound BOOK (of which I've several copies placed conveniently throughout our house and also in my car and day pack). I try to read a book a week, be they novel or text. As we open cards as they arriive, I've already received 2 Barnes & Noble gift cards ... the senders know me very well and are non-family. My regret is that I had to relinquish the extensive libraries of my parents and maternal grandparents, and that I've no where here to shelve what I've acquired myself, my limited shelving now dedicated to music.

10. iw63boomer

iw63boomer New Friend

Dec 12, 2011
    Chicago and other places
    If you are proficient at jazz, I would say Chinese. The Japanese have a great interest in jazz, and I know a few cats who have gone on tour of Japan. China is an emerging market and leading competitor of the United States. I would imagine that learning Chinese, or whatever passes for their main dialect, would be beneficial to you. I might be wrong, but I predict that a good translator from Chinese to American (note I didn’t say ‘English’) should always be able to make some money.