Best Foreign Language to Learn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    He's a Septic Tank, so he should start with English. ROFL

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Uncharitable - but Hella Funny!

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I studied German in college. Can I speak it precisely? "Nein. Konnen sie deucht sprechen?
    I also studied Spanish. " Habla espanol?" Commo esta usted?
    Of the three languages, the one I would prefer further study is German. Its roots in English is obvious.
    But, more importantly, I can read music, precisely. Playing music precisely is what I'm trying to do while practicing.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Maybe music should be credited as a foreign language in schools.

5. Sol

Sol Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2004
    I'd learn English first, since it is the first foreign language taught wherever it doesn't happen to be spoken. So fi you try to make yourself understood in a foreign language, and you aren't, then you can fall back to English, provided than you can speak English.

As far as learning another language to further your career as a trumpet player, first get the job (language skills aren't considered), then learn the language that they speak where you were offered the job.

tedh1951 likes this.
  6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    That's a capital "S" to you. :D

I lived and worked professionally in Germany for 20 years, have a German family and raised two kids speaking mainly German to them. I would not consider German an easy language. It's easy to start because of a commonality of English and German words, that's true, but once I got into adjectives, declensions, etc., I found it to be a mine field, personally, when compared to English. I mean, a different ending for the colour "green" depending on whether or not you are describing green tea or a green notebook? Oy! I found getting by in casual conversation around a table one thing, while watching and trying to understand complex, psychological dramas or writinging literate, yet appropriately colloquial documents, something altogether different and much more difficult.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    No, they just sound more effective! This is probably not the place to provide examples. My wife reckons some perfectly polite german words sound like swear words. (z.B. "lecker")

--bumblebee

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I can truly say, I've never heard Bavarian men complain about this.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Duh! If the horse gets sick, somebody has to pull the plow!

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    R O F L That's funny!