Best Foreign Language to Learn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Dec 3, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh, but after the hard work, it's Mustang Sally time! That's when those strong Bavarian legs really go to work!

Was, right here in zee Laboratory, Doktor? [Young Frankenstein]

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I would learn English, with the American dialect. If you want to pick up a second or third language, French and Spanish are more universal than say Russian, and MUCH easier to learn than Chinese or Sanskrit. Most countries teach English as a second language from grammar school.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    The OP's question is:

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks kehaulani for calling the question!

My recommendation, especially for jazz is:

Language: Spanish

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Here about, the plowing is now mechanized and not uncommon to see a woman in control of the machine.

I didn't have a problem in Germany getting about or what I wanted, and I spoke only English with the American accent, but was often answered with a British accent. As an American LEO, I think back that I would have been much more versatile if I had learned Spanish well ... and dyed my hair black.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Classical:
    Language: German or English

Jazz:
    Language: Southern English or Cajun

Country Bluegrass
    Language: Hillbilly

ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    But... why would someone go out of their way to do that? American is the most highly evolved form of oral communication in history! Everything else is just... neanderthal... and we'll leave that to the tubas.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    maybe learning Aussie is advice really only meant for the drummers and the woodwind players ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    Touche. we'll go with that. ;-)

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Although there may be a wee bit of overlap, for the most part Country and Bluegrass music are separate genres. With Gospel a third genre, these three are the most popular around me now. However, try as I may, I can't work the brass sound into the Bluegrass sound, especially when there is a fiddle saw, jug blow, wash tub bass plucker, and a washboard scrape. Maybe, I "shoulda" [should have] spent more time in WV and acquired more of a quasi hillbilly language and speech. Just no way I could now replicate that twang and dialect. Open my mouth and they'd know immediately I was a "foriner" and likely "revnooer". Too, I realize they are pretty good shooters and know well the use of a pick handle other than "diggin". "Ain't gonna" let this worry me now.