Best Foreign Language to Learn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Dec 3, 2011.

1. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    your use of quotes gives you away sir. aint nuttin wrong wit' the way i talk.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, even though I am technically a German (I prefer being called a Bavarian) and may sound prejudiced, I really recommend German. It's not only Germany that's open to you, but Austria and a big part of Switzerland as well. Both Germany and Austria have a love of brass music, combined with very active musicians' unions and a tradition of paying trumpet players even for small church gigs...

3. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I beg to differ.

4. barliman2001

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    And that's because the cliché picture of Bavarian girls in dirndl dresses is only true for about half a percent of the female population... you might even think Austria was worse, because they serve the cliché even more strongly. But in everyday life, it's totally different.

And I'll let you into a secret: In many cases, Bavarian and Austrian women appearing in traditional dress actually stuff their stockings with cotton wool to get that result.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I really don't pick on anyone for the way they speak and write ... all I want to do is understand what they communicate. Durn, why did the USAF require I take a course in lexicology at Helevfa University? Only once did it stead me well. Not even in the coffee shop nearby could I understand Hebrew.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    No dispute on the activeness of a love for brass music there, but in a few other areas of the world also. Still it seems to me that the activeness of unions there would be a bar to intrusion of musicians from other countries.

Personally, I accept no money to play music in church during a regular church service, but for weddings I may charge or accept an honorarium, the latter as is usual tradition in many churches in the U.S. In conference with priest, minister, or rabbi I believe couples are advised that such is expected. When I haven't outright charged, there hasn't been once that I did not receive more in the form of an honorarium than I would have charged. Such was either for my singing or playing my trumpet.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Best foreign language which cuts to culture to learn: So... perhaps you can settle a score between Vulgano Brother and I; Do Bavarian women really have large thighs.... Really?

OK NO NEED TO ANSWER, JUST READ IT IN THE POST ABOVE. GOTTA REALLY SPEND MORE TIME HERE ON TM TO GET CAUHT UP ON MY READING.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    barliman - a quick story you might get a kick out of.

I was in the London Underground and there were two young women nearby speaking a language that was somewhat familiar sounding to me but I just could not identify it. I had been touring all over Europe for about two years at that point. So I went up to them and told the that I was interested in the various cultures of Europe, and was curious about what language they were speaking. They said, "German". I said, "Oh really? I live in Germany and I didn't recognise it at all. Where do you live?" They answered, "Switzerland!", and they were seriously pissed off!! :-o

Uh - my bad!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Shalom Ed

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I hear it's one helevfa University!