Best Foreign Language to Learn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Dec 3, 2011.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Happy Hannukah GM, or Channukah for the people who can't spell- -either way -- happy Hannukah for the DR's and the Pharmicists ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I was born and grew up very close to Switzerland (Geneva). I take it from the locals that Swiss German is the poorest excuse for a language ever to chew up the ears of European people. Germans say the same. There are innumerable jokes on the uncanny dialect spoken by German Swiss, who seem to make up for it by holding all the money of the old World, clean or dirty.

Q: What do you call a gathering of boring Swiss people?
    A: Zurich

All the same Zurich and Bern have some mighty fine music schools, Albert Eisntein graduated from the Swiss Polytechnic, and Edward Tarr chose Bern as his academic venue for many years. Can't be too bad.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I used to find it funny that whenever Swiss people were speaking on the TV broadcast in Germany there would be subtitles in German. The Germans called it "Schweizerdeutsch" - I'm not sure the Swiss refer to it as that though.

--bumblebee

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yes, yes! I was watching a documentary (on German TV) on helicopter emergency services and it was moving down from Germany, into Bavaria and finally into Switzerland and it gradually dawned on me that, when it was in Switzerland, I was also watching subtitles. LOL.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have a Swiss mate (married to an Aussie girl) who refers to his German as Schweizerdeutsch. Interestingly, he and his wife simply, and immediately, abandonded his family home, just out of Bern, when the news of the Chernobyl disaster was realeased - although his mother chose to remain in Swizterland. He migrated to rural Queensland.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Now all has to be mindful of is the myriad "critters" down under that want to make a meal out of him! ROFL

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Swiss call "Käsekuchen" "Chäs-Chüechli". Their fondue is good though, and they sell some nifty tricked-out Bach trumpets.

8. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Why not learn "dutch", would be easyer for me. Dan kan ik gewoon in het Nederlands typen.... en verstaat iedereen wat ik zeg ;-)

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I can sort of read Dutch and Flemish, puzzle out written Italian, but French and those funny Scandinavian languages are foreign to me. Thankfully TM has solved the language barrier for us. For example: :play:, :-o,:thumbdown:,:grouphug:.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  10. Jappe

Jappe Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2011
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Pourqoui pas apprendre le Français??? C'est aussi une langue du monde.... (translation, why not learn French, it's also a world-language) HAHAHAHAHA