Best Foreign Language to Learn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Dec 3, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yah, and there is no German spoken in the video, and it looks like American streets although he IS driving on the right side of the car.

Now hold on with this comparison Turtle, it's hitting too close to home as I have a 2010 SS Camaro and look at what they wanted to do with that car:
    Camaro knight rider??? - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

My car is practical, as long as I don't drive it in the snow.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Such assumes one is neither deaf, nor mute, from playing with these brass "beasts". Also, not blind from squinting and these little squiggles some call music.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I now know some good old boys hereabout in NC that could modify your Camaro to operate effectively in snow ... or the swamps, albeit it would no longer be efficient or any longer have speed on track or highway. About all it would take is about twice (possibly more) of the amount you orginally paid for your new Camaro, payable only in cash up front. Red or blue flashers on the front of vehicles are illegal to operate on the roads or highways in most states, unless bonafide police or other emergency responder (mine is a mag to set on my roof.)

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  5. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    I was once told that Ferdinand Porche was captured by the French at the end of WWII and forced to design a "peoples car" for the French. the result was the Renault Dauphine otherwise known as "Porches Revenge."

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Not exactly : it was the "4 chevaux Renault" ; "4 chevaux" or "4 CV" means "4 HP" ... The Dauphine was the following model, an evolution of the 4 CV. But these cars were not "French Porsche", at most kind of French VW !

Footnote : My own car is a Mercedes ...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  7. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Sounds a little like you think you can walk into another country and make it happen. Why not here? If you have any promise, the land of the free, etc. will let it shine. Then if you make it here, as the saying goes, you should be able to make it anywhere, nein?

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

tobylou8 likes this.
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The old 4 CV I rented in Marseille wasn't much of anything ... no power ... but I did like the removable doors since it certainly didn't have AC.

Got the anti-sway system out of a wrecked Mercedes and had it installed in a Chrysler wagon. Sure stabilized the Chrysler's fish-tailing. Really sorry that the Mercedes - Chrysler relationship dissolved.

At least I doubled the money I had in the Chrysler when I sold it after driving it for 3 years.

10. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Weeeelllll... the Swiss have two variants of German. One is correct German with a strong additional flavour. That's the language they use for official TV programmes (at least many of them) and for contacts with the outer world. And then there is "Schwyzerdütsch", which is not only an accent, but a very heavily flavoured dialect of German. To any German or Austrian, "Schwyzerdütsch" is just as comprehensible as Chinese. So, technically, those two girls were correct, and yet... But that's true for almost any German dialect. Ever heard a native of the Oberpfalz (near Regensburg) talk his broadest local speak? Or a Frisian speaking Platt? In some cases, you wouldn't even suspect they were talking.