Best Foreign Language to Learn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ColinWhite, Dec 3, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  2. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    booo! but at the same time, you're not going very FAR off-road if your wheels ain't got no power behind em, right Bubba?

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Where I am, there are 4 issues to off-road optimum performance: 1. Engine power, 2. Wheel drive torque, 3. Grip of tires, and 4. Surface clearance. Either a stock Camaro or Ferrari would need a tow back onto a paved road surface, if they otherwise did not need shop repair or weren't then on their way to the scrap yard as totalled.

I'm now to the age in life where high speed is not a priority and my pocket book won't support a gas guzzling high powered engine. Life for me is now is doable for me within posted speed limits on well paved roads, those roads that aren't well paved being extremely uncomfortable.

The only purpose I may now have to go into the wilderness is to find a peaceful and isolated place to play my music and whether anyone or anything else hears it I shouldn't need to care. What now hinders me from doing so is the absence of ability due to health to get to such a place and the expected absence of other pleasures and amenities I'd desire should I ever get there. Then too, the land owner would tell me I'm trespassing and disturbing his / her sanctum.

Thus I'll now sit in my home office and play my music or lay my body down to rest. Oh yeah, also putting in print my present life philosophy near to being a hermit in our own house. Yep, such is quite a bit reclusive, but not entirely so, for my wife is nearby and together we go places and do things like normal people do.

Yes, the Yule wreath is hung on our freshly painted front door, our Christmas tree in the foyer strung with lights, yet not decorated ( a tradition we do the day before Christmas ) and there are already some gifts beneath the tree. Yesterday, I had to go to the counter to get mail that wouldn't fit in our Post Office box and was given a plastic bag full, mostly Christmas greetings but many commercial advertisements, and of course those dreaded bills.

Today, I'll have to go West to get to the East end of town as our street is blocked while they replace 4 foot diameter drainage pipe under the street and extensively on both sides. Such adds about 3/4 mile just to my walk to the Post Office, or to the luncheonette, the library, or to the County Courthouse and offices, and the business district with exception of the lone grocery store. Although, weather permitting I walk about the town (because I need to), I think I'll drive today. This afternoon I'll spend a lot of time on business matters, a lot on the phone, and not be able to practice until later this evening.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeah, it's a rough walk to the gas station and back when you run out of gas off-road also. Ain't no power without gas (or diesel fuel).

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No but getting to the legal speed limit on 420 lbs of torque is a real rush that brings one of the best foreign languages I learned into my forebrain... Wunderbar!

Not that farfegnugen word which I believe is interpreted by most Americans as "far from pootin" which is synonymous for constipation. No don't need that in our lives for sure, right Ed?

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As the LEO on traffic enforcement will tell you, if you want such acceleration join the USAF, or Navy and qualify to fly a jet *, however this is a traffic controlled roadway and not airspace. You are thus charged with wreckless driving and public endangerment.

* Been there and done that! The military and NASA won't publically disclose how many bowel movement "accidents" have occurred in flight.

Gmonady, although Colace is OTC, it is now Rx and part of my daily health care regimen.

PS - Take off from a carrier via catapult wasn't for me, thus my choice of USAF in lieu of Navy / Marine. I didn't ever want to be a human cannonball in a circus either.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    GM is too old for the Navy to accept him -- might I also suggest a rollercoaster for that adrenaline rush???? ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Big rush in sky diving (parachuting) or bungee dumping also, but those are now memories for me also. A 90 year has jumped tandem and she didn't have a death wish.

Warning signs now appear at amusement park roller coasters advising no riding on roller coasters for heart patients. Durn! About the same on many other amusement rides. Now you'll just find me playing Skee Ball, or reading a book while sitting on a bench.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    AND there is nothing wrong with reading a good book, or enjoying the park -- Is there????

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Try it, and then tell me what you think! The noise is very distracting in amusement parks. Too, is the hyped movement in my eye periphery. Too, at the time injury prevented my active participation with my wife and young daughter ... and that is the pits of depresssion. A book was just my "cover" to go along and share with them what little I could. I would have been lucky if I read a page an hour, and generally I can read 100 or more pages an hour, only a bit slower if they are illustrated texts or law books.