best high note method

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Jun 18, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    hey guys, i havent been very active in the community lately because of my good old high school marching band... my trumpet playing is going great, im now first trumpet in the band, and am now being urged to play the highest notes in the peice... i realizethat through the season, i will be capable of playing that high... however with a couple of the other things i am involved asking for some higher notes, i am searching for a method that that is respected as the best, thanks

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    Cat Anderson's 20G, 20C. It's simple, it's effective. I've seen results after just two weeks on it.

Hold a second-line G out for twenty minutes straight, only stopping to breathe in through the nose, at Pianissimo. Rest ten minutes.

Hold a second-space C out for twenty minutes straight, only stopping to breathe in through the not, at Pianissimo. Rest ten minutes. Continue practicing if desired.

It's a full hour of concentration, and it builds the endurance like none other. Try it out, and if it works for you, then that's great. We can only give advice on methods, we can't pinpoint what will work for you perfectly, only you can do that through experience. Have fun.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Unpopular old-skool approach: Clarke's Third Study, tongued and slurred, pp, and keep transposing upwards. You'll get chops and learn your scales. Of course, it isn't cool, because you'll be macho and smart at the same time.

Some girls go for that combination, by the way.

Good luck!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no best method, just best players not looking for shortcuts. Respect is something that every player needs to earn. No method can be considered universal.

Chops are built through good playing habits over time. The sooner that you give up on that search for the holy grail, the sooner you will be on the road to getting better. Solid, long term intelligent practice will give you results. Which playing direction that you take is determined by your soul, not some anonymous internet advice!

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Like every thing else, if you want to learn something on the trumpet you must practice it. In other words if you want to play high notes you have to practice notes, now don't over do it and practice high on fresh chops , never when your tired, arpeggios up as high as you can play, always try to extend range, lip slurs, scales, and playing melodies you know up an octave, look for a 4th or 5th below the highest note you can hit as your usable [ practical] range , it takes time don't be impatient.

6. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Agreeing with everything said so far, I'd add that Colin Lip Flexibilities
    have been very helpful for me. Like Vulgano said, soft!
    Have fun,
    -Andrew

7. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    I realize that there is no holy grail, so, i guess i should have asked for someone to tell me what works for them... i have a freind who thinks he can get by just playing at rehearsals... ive realized however that it truly only comes through perseverance... if i didnt love trumpet than i wouldnt play, so i guess you gotta throw some passion into themix as well... the 20g 20c is an interesting idea... ill give it a try... thanks for the help guys

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  8. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    NO! We build muscles and control by build up and tear down, carefully dosed. Continuous playing is only good for strong chops. Just like with medicine: 2 aspirins will relieve a headache, 10 will not.

9. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    wow... ok... strike that... lol...

wait, so is the method unhealthy or cb? wow... im starting to feel like a newb again, lol learn something new every day

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Weak chops are the problem. They should be outlawed!