Best isolating ear buds?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Jun 8, 2012.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I picked up a Rolls personal monitor mixer today. I have been playing around with it this evening, hooking it to the computer and my Shure wireless mic and using a cheap pair of in ear buds. Not the iPod type, but the type that seals inside your ear. I don't much care for the sound of my horn with this set up, but I can live with that. Probably need to put some kind of limiter on the line.

Anyway, here is my question. Are there earbuds out there that are relatively inexpensive and do a decent job of sound isolation?

One thing I really don't like about the Rolls unit is that it has to plug in. It will not run off a battery. That seems like a major flaw.

Here's a link to see the unit:

Rolls PM351 In Ear Monitor Mixer

2. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Hi there,

Thanks for the link to the Rolls unit - i have been looking for something similar to use on my smaller shows. As you spend more time with it, please keep us up to date as to the ease of use, and sound quality of that unit.

Regarding your question: I have used Westone UMX-3s on stage before, they gave reasonable isolation. [I now use custom fit ES5s - awesome isolation (but pricey!)]

Cheers,
    Adrian

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    The Bose ear buds are great, but not noise-isolating, but still fantastic. They are on sell at Best Buy. I found some over the ear Sennheiser PXC250-II for $50.00 used that are fantastic. I use nothing else. They are noise isolating. Unclaimed Baggae in Scottsboro, Alabama has all kinds for cheap! The Bose are $25.00 usually there.

4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Used the Rolls PM351 last night. It worked really well. I used a cheap set of earbuds. I got adequate isolation. I'd like to have more, though. But it was incredible being able to hear myself. I missed WAY fewer notes. It is obviously hard to play when you can't hear yourself. My ears are not ringing. Last night was a wedding reception. It started an hour late, so we played all night without a break. No problem with the chops. Without the monitor I probably would have blown myself out after about an hour and a half or so.

5. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I use Rocketfish over the ear behind the neck buetooth noise canceling type with a Bluetooth adapter plugged into whatever unit I am using. The over the ear type can feel a little hot after a while but not as irritating as earbuds for me.

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    I like to bluetooth idea, but I don't think over the ear headphones would give enough isolation to suit me and might look a little strange.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I use a pair of Sennheiser MX500's. They are inexpensive and get the job done. They have a volume control slider built in which along with your monitor volume gives you a little more versatility adjusting what you hear. YOU DO HAVE TO REMEMBER IT'S THERE!! Really embarrassing to tell the sound guy you got "nothing" and waste 10 minutes figuring out whats wrong and it's the slider all the way down! :oops::oops::oops::oops:
    I am not aware of earbuds that isolate (would be hard just because they're earbuds I think). As far as a battery goes with a monitor or outside PA system, as the batteries get weaker, you lose volume (at least in my experience) and you have to compensate by playing or talking louder (seems to defeat your purpose of not overblowing). Sometimes it's gradual and you don't notice, or you lose it all at once, both bad.

8. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    The etymotics look like they would give superior isolation, but a lot of reviews say they do not hold up well. I'm looking at the Sennheiser IE4. Anybody have experience with these?

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Geez Louweez!!! :shock::shock: Well now I know some that isolate.