best jazz colleges

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by youngmaynard, Jun 18, 2007.

1. josephus07

josephus07 Pianissimo User

Feb 19, 2005
    Sean Jones went to Youngstown State in Youngstown, OH. I've heard that their jazz program is not as strong as it was when he was there.

Grand Valley State is in Michigan.

I wills second DePaul.

2. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    Sean Jones also went to Rutgers for his Masters. William Fielder and John Swana are teaching jazz trumpet there currently, but Ralph Bowen, Stanley Cowell, Conrad Herwig, Victor Lewis, Mike Richmond, and Vic Juris are on the jazz faculty.

3. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    Take a look at Florida State University.

4. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

when I was at northwestern I played with a couple groups with some depaul guys.

they were SCARY good.

5. NickD

NickD Forte User

How does NYU fit the big picture? I am asking for my own kid!

Nick

6. J. Landress Brass

J. Landress Brass Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2007
    New York City
    The New School in New York City has a great program as well as Purchase as Ray mentioned.

7. S-Money

S-Money Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Bah, Youngstown State in Ohio is what I meant, not Ohio State. I even visited there to check it out for my undergrad.

Oh... and yes... UNT!

(I'm actually a counselor for a jazz camp thats going on here... and the drummer is Ed Soph... yes, the UNT guy. I'm going to be talking to him about that place. Incase you're wondering, the quartet whos running the camp is the Marvin Stamm Quartet... the other two are Bill Mays on piano, and Martin Wind on bass... WOW to the whole group! And being a counselor, I get paid to get involved and have lessons with these guys... how sweet it is)

8. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    NYU is stellar. I have sent three students there and they have all done well. I am actually doing a gig tomorrow ,with a former student who is currently at NYU. I met Brian Lynch a couple weeks back and he's one of my student's teachers. Great guy, great teacher.

I have also sent students to Rutgers, Purchase, Eastman (my alma mater), Indiana, New School, Manhattan, Juilliard. All good or even more than good. Myself, I don't recommend DePaul, but I'll say no more about that. Northern Florida (Bunky Green is there) USC, Miami, there are many good schools. I would choose based on the teacher you would study with, much like schools if you were interested in studying "classical" music.

Michael McLaughlin

Last edited: Jun 20, 2007