Best Mahler Recordings?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bugler997, Jul 7, 2005.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I agree with the last two posts - I've got Zander / Philharmonia doing Mahler 9 (with my teacher playing 4th trumpet I believe!) and it's great - the extra disk is really interesting too.

I've got the Bernstein DG boxed set and there are some great recordings in there too!

For #5 definitely check out Mehta / NY - if only to hear Phil Smith's playing - :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: amazing!

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I only have 2

1- Levi/Atlanta Symphony Orchestra (Chris Martin on the Blumine solo)

5- Solit/CSO, there's just something about good ole Bud, love it.

Lord willing I'll find more soon, but as my tastes are so wide, and it hasn't been that long since I got #1, it'll be a while before I get 3 (unless I find the Bernstein/NYPO w/ Vacchiano)

3. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    My favourite recording of Mahler 5 (at the moment) is the Berlin Phil with Simon Rattle - CD and a DVD version available which gives some great upclose shots of the brass section.

Probably my all time favourite version (not recorded for CD release, only for radio broadcast), though, was the Royal Philharmonic playing at the BBC Proms about 9 years ago. First time I'd heard it live ... magnificent. Ian Balmain was playing principal trumpet, Malcolm Hall was bumping ... although I don't think Malcolm played 1 note! He just sat there leaning over to Ian saying 'Go on lad, nail it!'

4. Wildman

Wildman Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2005
    ta-ta-ta- SHARP!!!!!!!!!

5. Wildman

Wildman Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2005