Best Mahler Symphony 1 recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by student trumpet, Jan 20, 2005.

1. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    I am looking to enlarge my collection of music and I am wondering what is the best recording of Mahler's 1st on CD. I heard a recording or the Atlanta Symphomy that I liked, sorry I forgot the conductor's name. Do you think it is a good recording? if not, what recording is better?

Thanks

2. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    there is no best, you must buy them ALL!!!!! :evil:
    joke, sort of. try leinsdorf/boston on rca, boulez/chicago on dg, solti/london...so many good ones...the one you mentioned is probably great, too.

dj

3. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    I have 2 recordings of Mahler I:

Solti/Herseth/Chicago
    DeWaart/Laureano/Minnesota

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Y'know, it's funny...

I can't think of a single Mahler 1 record that I like completely. And, by the way, I think you're limiting yourself by not including older LPs from your recording collection. that's the bad thing about CDs... people won't look for the more historic interpretations and just listen to today's versions. No historic comparisons.

Anyway, it seems as though I have not heard an interpretation that completely seals it for me. A little here, a little there. Also, are you asking about it from a trumpet-playing perspective (not that there's anything wrong with that) or conductor interpretation, or overall sound of orchestra?

Apparently, there's an old, old version of Bruno Walter with NBC! That would be a fantastic interpertation but, see? I didn't even know that record existed until a friend casually mentioned it to me the other day.

I would sooner go with a recording by an old friend of Mahler's than the latest bit of guesswork by a contemporary conductor or whatever the latest trend in trumpet player is.

ML

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Did the Philadelphia Orchestra Mahler First ever come out on CD?
    Gil Johnson's performance in the"Blumine" movement is heart-stopping.
    Wilmer

6. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    "I can't think of a single Mahler 1 record that I like completely. And, by the way, I think you're limiting yourself by not including older LPs from your recording collection. that's the bad thing about CDs... people won't look for the more historic interpretations and just listen to today's versions. No historic comparisons." Manny

I would get an LP but I don't have the equiptment to hook mine up, and my record player isn't very good

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    ST,

I PROMISE you, that all you have to do is go to the local neighborhood thrift store and you'll find some stuff that's usable. Salvation Army, St. Vincent de Paul's. Don't buy the first thing you see. Look around. It's worth it. Once you find a bunch of those great old recordings you'll know what I mean.

ML

8. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I can definitely vouch for what Manny's sayin!! LP's are the greatest hidden musical treasure.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think that some times the first recording that you get is the one that sticks in your head as "the one".

My first and the one that I like the best is Boston Symphony Seiji Ozawa Deutsche Grammophon. On the back of the record jacket it says 1977. I think that is when it was recorded.

10. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I really like the Mahler 1 with London (LSO), I can't think of who's conducting, and to be honest, the orchestra in general isn't too hot, but man does the trumpet wail, it's one of my most inspiring recordings in my collection.