Best Mahler Symphony 1 recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by student trumpet, Jan 20, 2005.

1. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    manny:

the leinsdorf/boston cd is the reissue of the lp i grew up with.
    i still have the walter/columbia lp. i keep it for the very reason you mention, as well as his nypo das lied & #4 nypo.
    i keep a cd retread of an old klemperer/vso m2 to get a taste of the older style, but my favorite 'modern' m2 is klemperer/philarmonia from about 40 years ago...wow.

dj

2. bftrumpet

bftrumpet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    HMV Japan sells this Mahler 1 with Mr. Johnson playing. I agree, it is the best "Blumine" that I know of. I used to listen to this album in Mr. Johnson's office at the University of Miami. I haven't ordered it from Japan. I wish they would offer it here too.

Ben Fairfield

3. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I don't know about recordings, my favorite is Chicago/Herseth but that's not why I write.

I heard the local Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra do their version live Saturday night. Their principal is Scott Thornburg, who is also the trumpet prof at Western Michigan U. here in town. Scott did a fantastic job, beautiful, full, lyrical sounds that blended perfectly with the rest of the orchestra. That's what I want to hear when I listen to this symphony, not a standout, but a perfect complement to the rest. I heard motives in the other sections I'd never heard before because the trumpeter always wants to overpower that movement, what a fantastic performance.

4. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Bernstein, eratic, but exciting (as usual for him)

5. JJ

JJ Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2005
    I came across this old post by chance.

FYI, I have this recording and like it a lot. I believe it's still available on the Classica d'Oro label, coupled with Walter's 1948 VPO recording of Symphony #2, which is also worth having (more urgent than the later NY Phil recording).

JJ

6. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Mahler 1 / Philadelphia-Johnson "Blumine"

I love this LP in my collection! Have wanted to find the CD reissue. How do I go about getting one from HMV Japan?

Any advice?

As for favorites....The Ormandy is great but the Bruno Walter Columbia Symphony LP has much going for it from an interpretation point of view.

The Israel Philharmonic has a nice Blumine movement.

Bavarian Rodio-Sinfonie is also quite energetic.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

7. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have -

NYP - Masur
    NYP - Walter
    Alanta - Levi
    Chicago - Solti
    Royal Philharmonic - Sherchen

Not sure which is my fav, havent listened to them in a while.

8. highbrass

highbrass Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Honolulu, HI
    I agree with this statement. It's been true for me at least. That said, my favorite is the St. Louis SO/Slatkin recording on Telarc. It's a clean, straightforward recording and my heart always leaps when Susan Slaughter and the horns play...love it. I sure would like to get my hands on the Philadelphia/Gil Johnson recording that you guys are talking about. Would love to hear the Blumine. Didn't someone on another forum or thread mention that it was released on CD recently?

Liz

9. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    I agree with you, Manny, that I have yet to hear a 100% completely satisfying recording - which means that the search continues! We must continue to search Ebay and Amazon to find the one recording that is great!!!

Having said that, there are MANY recordings of Mahler 1 with amazing trumpet playing. That's what's great about listening to different interpretations - every CD, every conductor, every orchestra, every trumpet player has something unique to bring to this piece, or any piece for that matter.

Manny sounds fantastic on the MO CD on Virgin conducted by Edo de Waart. I especially love the soft solos in the first and third movements on this CD. Bravo Manny!

I've always had a soft spot for Ghitalla's playing on the previously mentioned Boston recording on DG with Ozawa, which includes a very heartfelt Blumine movement. This CD might be hard to find these days.

For their signature powerful and rich sounds, the NYPO with Masur on Teldec can't be beat.

A young Chris Martin sounds great on the Atlanta Levi recording. The offstage fanfares in the first movement sound better here than in most. They are clean, well balanced, and sonically placed just right. Many recordings sound either too distant or too present.

While I'm not sure who the trumpet player is, the Mehta Israel recording on Decca from 1974 is very nice. This is the recording paired in a 2 CD set with the famous Mehta LAPO Mahler 3 recording.

And finally, one you might not be familiar with but which sounds really nice is the James Judd recording with the now defunct Florida Philharmonic on Harmonia Mundi.

OK, off to look for a few more....

JU

10. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    John,

Possibly Ed Cord? He was there from 1972 - 1976: Israel Philharmonic Trumpet Section

Just a guess.