Best Mahler Symphony 1 recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by student trumpet, Jan 20, 2005.

1. JJ

JJ Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2005
    Here are my favorites:

Modern:
    Bernstein - Concertgebouw
    Horenstein - LSO
    Kubelik - BRSO ('79 live recording on Audite)
    Solti - LSO
    Tennstedt - CSO (also available on VHS, and, hopefully, some day on dvd)

Historical:
    Walter, NBC (1939)
    Walter, Concertgebouw (1947)

JJ

2. bftrumpet

bftrumpet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    Miami, Florida
  3. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    I'm a little late adding onto this thread, but I was just listening to my CD of Mahler I again (Chicago/Boulez, 1999). Just as someone else described of another recording, Mr. Herseth led where it was time to lead, and followed the larger sections of the orchestra when it was time to do that.

The other night I turned on the radio and heard a live performance of this work by the Minnesota Orchestra. Manny accomplished the same perfect ability to blend/lead as he always does. Another thing that impressed me Friday night was the ease with which he played at the very end. Endurance, control, pitch, etc. Of course the sound comes through the mouthpiece, through the horn...but it (most importantly) comes out of Manny! He is amazing!

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The conductor leads the orchestra. The first trumpet, when he has the principal line, follows the conductor's wishes.......at least that's the way it usually goes. :cool:
    Wilmer

5. mikeblutman

mikeblutman New Friend

Jul 17, 2005
    From a trumpet-playing perspective, one of my favorites is the Florida Philharmonic with James Judd conducting. Jeff Kaye plays first trumpet and the Blumine movement is AMAZING. For the entire symphony, Jeff's first trumpet playing blows me away. This is usually a budget bin kind of recording you'll find for $6-7 in a record shop like Tower and is well worth listening to as a trumpeter. The orchestra is good, but not on the overall level of many of the other recordings mentioned here, of which I own or have heard many.

I have played along with that recording for several years now and have continually strived to copy the way Jeff does a lot of things on that recording. Beautiful lyrical playing, strong but not dominating powerful playing ... real deal. Jeff is currently the trumpet professor at University of Nevada Las Vegas (UNLV) and is a member of the IRIS Chamber Orchestra in Tennessee under the direction of Michael Stern.

Mike Blutman

6. JJ

JJ Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2005
    Given the interest in Blumine, I thought I'd mention one more recording; Wyn Morris's recording with the New Philharmonia of the earlier 1893 version, which contains the Blumine movement that Mahler eliminated from the final version. It's interesting listening because the orchestration is quite different in places (e.g., horns instead of clarinets for the opening of the 1st movement), and, of course, it includes Blumine. Some people feel, probably not unreasonably, that to play the later version, but include Blumine, creates kind of an odd hybrid of the two ...

JJ

7. poochie

poochie New Friend

Nov 3, 2005
    new jersey
    Bruno Walter, Columbia Symphony Orchestra

8. highbrass

highbrass Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Honolulu, HI

Thanks for the info on the re-release of the Philadelphia/Ormandy recording. I just picked it up at Tower Records today and am listening to it right now. I think this is the only recording I've heard so far that the beginning section in the first movement is not repeated, but that's ok...it sounds great anyway. The Blumine is so beautiful, as is the rest of the CD.

Just thought I'd also let you iPoders know that this recording is also available at the iTunes Music Store -- it's a definite plus if you aren't able to find the CD in the record stores and less expensive too. Being a former music librarian and writer of program notes, however, I do prefer CDs for the program notes; I enjoy finding out more about the pieces I listen to. Now if only the pieces at the iTunes Store came with liner notes....:-P

Hope you all are having a Happy Easter and a great time at your Easter gigs (my gig is in a few hours),

Liz

9. JJ

JJ Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2005
    FYI, skipping the repeat is not uncommon, especially on older recordings from the '50s and '60s. For example, Bruno Walter skips it on all four of the recordings I own.

JJ

10. TPT81

TPT81 New Friend

Apr 17, 2006
    My favorites, in no particular order:

Boston with Ozawa, 1977 (with a later recording of the Blumine, 1984)

Chicago, live with Leinsdorf

Atlanta with Joel Levi, Chis Martin plays the Blumine, absolutely outstanding

San Fransisco, Live with MTT (part of the recent Mahler set they have been releasing)

Just my two cents...