Best melodic trumpeting - song suggestions?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bilby, May 21, 2009.

1. Bilby

Bilby New Friend

May 21, 2009
    I'm a newish trumpet player (a year and a half) and I find that good melodic trumpet music is the most inspiring to listen to but most trumpet music recommendations are heavily biased to jazz (which I'm not into at all). I love hearing Wynton Marsalis but again most of his CD's seem to be more of a technical showcase than something you want to listen to again and again. I'm an Indie fan, and so the sort of thing I'm after would be something like: Elephant Gun by Beirut, Le Matin Ca by Air or Alone Again by Love which all feature very good trumpeting. Anything like Wynton Marsalis's "Like a Motherless Child" would be good too. I'd welcome any suggestions.

2. wnaus

wnaus Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2008
    Check out my new CD Touch The Spirit. You can hear and see a video of each tune on youtube-wayne naus. It's all about playing melody!
    Wayne Naus
    Welcome to Wayne Naus' World

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Two of my all time favorite CD's which showcase what I think
    being a brass musician is all about:

Canadian Brass Plays Bernstein
    Wynton Marsalis - Classic Wynton

4. oldenick

oldenick Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2007
    CT

5. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Have you heard all of Beirut's stuff? At least, Gulag Orkestar, Flying Cup Club and March of the Zapotec. Cause you need all of those. Zapotec's my favourite.

Beyond that, you should check out some GOOD jazz players. Wynton IS just a technical showcase. That's not because he's jazz, that's because he's Wynton. Check out some real melodic players like Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis (ESPECIALLY Kind of Blue, so incredibly melodic), Chet Baker, Clifford Brown, Freddie Hubbard. Probably in that order.

Outside of that there's trumpet in indie bands like Cake or Flobots. I'm trying to think of other indie bands that have trumpets but it's tough. Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over the Sea has beautiful horns. Architecture in Helsinki have lots of horns unless I'm mistaken. I don't really remember. You may also want to check out Final Fantasy, although they are more strings-focused. Still a beautiful new take on art-music.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  6. Bilby

Bilby New Friend

May 21, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check out Canadian Brass & Ray Mase. I've got most of Beirut's songs already. Indie music seems to have the most beautiful trumpet playing that I've found so far.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For do-it-yourself melodic trumpet playing, get a Grateful Dead songbook, listen to the recordings, and try to emulate Jerry Garcia's inflections. If you can manage that, you can play anything of a melodic nature.

Don't forget your tie-dye t-shirt!

Peace, man!