BEST METRONOME FOR BRASS

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by ROGERIO, Jan 4, 2006.

1. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I've done it... I've dropped my metronome on a tile floor and now it only ticks a ppp.

Luckily it was a $20 Witmer (sp?)

What does everyone recommend that has a louder than most "tick" ???

I've heard the Dr. Beat are nice... but which one?

I've noticed that Franz no longer makes the electric box... or at least no one seems to have it for sale. I had one years ago and lost it during my non-playing days.

Thanks! :-)

2. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I use a Dr. Beat DB-88. You can program measure lengths up to 16 beats by combining 2 beat functions, asymmetric meter, loop metric patterns, it has 3 voices, subdivides to the 16th and 1/8 triplet via 4 sliders, has a tuner, can input tempo by either turning the wheel to select the tempo or tap it in, 6 memory slots in both the tuner and metronome. It also has a chromatic pitch reference from the bass clef ranging to up above the treble clef.

Quite a bargain. And the clicks can be quite loud. Youo can also plug it into an amp to really punish drummers! :twisted:

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Sounds nasty, Glenn!

I've been using an el cheapo Chinese made unit... EMA is the brand. It has a "loud" built-in click with volume control, tempo frm 40 to 208, beats 0 through 8, and LED "16ths". It also has an A 440 tuning sound if you prefer to tune by ear instead of by eye.

Not terribly small but I've dropped it a couple of times and so far it still works OK.

4. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Thanks Glenn....

OMG... does it have a lawn mower attachment too ?? ;-)

Got your PM Toots. Thanks.

5. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    The Boss DB-88 also costs about $135.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I almost forgot... the EMA also has a minijack output for earplug OR feeding into an amp.

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Call me old fashioned... but I really miss those Franz Box Metronomes. Very simple, straight forward...

Found a few on e-bay for less than $15 used.

But I'm keeping an open mind....

(actually, it's the only way my mind functions... it's those breezes that mess me up) :lol:

8. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    I really like my Seiko credit card sized metronome. Because it's so small there's no excuse to not take it with you, it's loud enough for most purposes, and doesn't eat batteries. I've had mine for many years and have never had a problem with it. A Dr. Beat may be better in terms of overall features and loudness, but if portability is an issue, think about the Seiko.

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The Seiko is nice... until you drop it! (Don't ask!) I also found that without using an earbud it isn't terribly loud. It is very compact and inexpensive though.