Best months for buying and selling?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Maui_Jimmy, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    Are there better months to buy a trumpet and better months to sell? What is the pattern?
    Thanks!

2. jcheze

jcheze New Friend

Jul 9, 2011
    Goldsby, OK
    Interesting question. I'm curious, too.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you're talking about used horns, I would say late spring early summer(end of school year) for buying,and late summer (going back to school) for selling. For new horns late look for back to school sales in late summer early fall.

4. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    So.... May - June to buy. July - August to sell? Every other month pretty much even keel? How does Christmas play a factor?

5. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    This is purely anecdotal; but it seems to me as if used odd ball and expensive stuff is more frequently offered for sale pre-Christmas and pre-income tax time. However with this economy I don't notice it as much--a lot of people seem to be cleaning out their closets to get a little extra money all year long. While a lot of used student stuff shows up in conjunction with the start of the school year, I've found that the prices tend to be higher than late spring and summer. But there aren't as many available.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'd add that sales of pre-owned continue at strength thru mid September and dwindle at the end of September. Around Christmas it is mostly new items that sell, but wouldn't pass on any pre-owned as are near mint condition especially in these economic times. Such is NOT a double your money game! Consider yourself lucky to have a mark-up of 5% over purchase cost plus expenses to repair and shipping when you sell. It is during this off season from September thru May that most techs have the available time to make the repairs needed. Also I might add that you must be cognizant of laws concerning such as are based on the volume you sell. That includes taxes.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best time to buy anything is when you need it. If you are in tune with your actual needs, then opportunities become apparent. I think that is is not good to buy a trumpet right before school or college. Better is to buy when you have enough time to get used to it BEFORE you have to produce.

Fine instruments do not have a cyclical value behavior. The "eBay" value is based upon how much the seller knows compared to the buyer.

The "back to school" deals found on new horns can be found online the whole year.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    All of the above I've quoted makes sense, however what I've enhanced is about the worst mode to buy a brand new horn.
    I may buy pre-owned online, but I expect what I buy online to need extensive repairs, but when I'm selling it has been face to face where the buyer sees and can try what they buy. I'm dibbling in the pre-owned marketplace not for the expectation of profit, but only to make a viable instrument available at an affordable price to those who otherwise couldn't begin to enjoy music they produce themselves.

To this I'll add that when the weather is pleasant, in these times yard sales are much more prolific, but its a hit and miss if they have any instruments for sale. My last buy was from a local newspaper ad.

9. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    I mainly ask because I would like to buy some vintage trumpets to play that would not otherwise be available to me. If I don't want it after playing it I would like to be able to sell it without taking a beating. I just didn't want to buy something in a "hot" month and sell it in a "cold" month. If I can buy right in a cold month I can hold it and wait for a hot month to re-sell it. I would rather break even or make a few bucks if possible.

Thanks guys!

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When one looks for a "vintage" instrument, I'd expect one to be on the restoration track and in a holding mode without thought of resale. True vintage is quite costly but the marketplace for such is of a much different nature than pre-owned which although some may have been considered pro horns are now just better student classification. True vintage would more likely turnover in an auction house with reserves in place and high commissions especially if they were "eye candy".
    One must have the pockets of a connissuer (sp??) to play this game, and that ain't me. It wouldn't surprise me to find a hole in my pocket now and then, especially in my old jeans.