Best months for buying and selling?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Maui_Jimmy, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I buy student horns in August in time to clean them up for sell in September. School band starts October 15th and parents are looking for an alternative to renting. I buy Professional horns whenever the price is right, to be fixed up and resold later. In the meantime, I get to have and play the great horns. I rarely hold on to a purchase longer than 2 months.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Except for that Committee, right? Pre- and post- war Committees are supposed to be the bomb (so to speak).

Turtle

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I would guess that the maket for vintage horns isn't really influenced by school cycles. When buying vintage, get the best original condition version you can find of what you want. Even though you can have a horn restored to new condition, spend the money up front on a nice original. You'll probably come out cheaper in the long run, and they're only original once. The only exceptions should be for a horn with sentimental value, or one that's so rare that you may never find another. Of course, if you have the skills to restore one yourself and find a beater that's really cheap, why not?

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I wholeheartedly agree with Dale. I searched for a while for my Recording, which is in new original condition (55 year old horn). It cost, but the playablility and the sound are worth it. If you know what you want and can wait for a good one in original condition ...... that is the vintage promised land. Full and skilled restorations are expensive, and may change the original sound.

Turtle

5. pendo

pendo New Friend

Oct 5, 2011
    Hello guys,

Had a question that's only partially related to the OP...(please take it easy on tfng:-)). I've unfortunately found myself in a position where I'm in need to raise a little cash, and selling my horn *could* be the most logical solution for me. But I'm not sure what the value of it even is, as I'm not seeing a whole lot out there--especially used. Also, as it pertains to this thread, from what I've read it may not be the best time to sell. What's the best way to go about determining a rough estimate on value when there's nothing out there to compare with?

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Seems like your need for cash is more prominent than getting the most money you can. To this end, you can offer it on an auction site with a reserve of the least you will let it go for. Without pictures and accurate description there is little else we can tell you as to comparable values. It is presently a down economy and such slows such sales. I personally feel it is the lower end student quality instruments where movement of sales follows a calendar pattern. Most of these are not pretty, but they are playable for students. Restoration to like new condition generally costs as much for a student quality instrument as it does for a pro model.

7. pendo

pendo New Friend

Oct 5, 2011
    Thanks,
    Yes, I really loathe being in a position where my patience is taken away from me. While I've made my share of impulse decisions, things of this nature are are not one of them. Whatever is liquidated now, I intend to replace come tax time (where's that thread about buying/selling seasons? Lol).

I think your logic regarding student horns is sound. As far as what I have....I'm admittedly out of touch from not playing in so many years, but I'd consider it an advanced student horn. I think it could serve a music major well enough. It's a Sonare 800, of B&S origins.

I of course have pics and all that, but that'd be straying too far from the intent of this thread. I just now learned of ebay's revised insertion fees, so I'll likely just put it up there with a starting price. My only concern is that if I find out I'm dreaming in regards to what I'd like to get, my time would be better spent liquidating other assets.

Down economy, indeed....

must..refrain..from..blurting out...political..opinions
    :shhh:

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC

9. pendo

pendo New Friend

Oct 5, 2011
    Certainly in that case, the 'school year' cycle plays an important role. And your endeavors in that regard are quite noble....I'm sure the rewards (not financial) can be great.

The Sonare isn't as nice as the Monette I used when I was in college ~18 years ago, but compares favorably with *some* Strads which is my reasoning for that statement. But I know it's value is not that of a new one. I'm going to try to get it up on ebay tonight. Still haven't come up with a good number, but I'm thinking I'll start it at 750. Anything less and I be sore from the sting, lol.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Your own statement indicates the Sonare not to equal a Monette, which leads me to believe the Monette went bye bye in much the same manner as you now propose to do with the Sonare. Still can't really say I now personally even would desire a professional instrument, Strad or other, let alone buy one used or new, albeit I do personally have a picc deemed as such. For me to resell a used professional instrument in my present locale would be out of the question. It was just happen stance that I found a pristine gold plated Monette mpc in the case of one trumpet I bought as was too much to use on the trumpet it came with or any of my own trumpets in lieu of what I had become accustomed to, that I let it go for $150, as was whole profit, and it sold quickly to another state.

Not sayin' anything about a Sonare, letting such to those that know and are familiar with them. As others have stated, professional and "collector" type instruments are marketed without regard to the calendar. I'll just say I personally won't be perusin' E-bay for it or comparable instruments.

Aside, thanks for the "noble" comment ... and yes, I've even been known to take a total loss ... on purpose.