Best mutes for the WT ...

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rich, Feb 9, 2004.

1. rich

rich New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    Which mutes do you WT owners feel work best with the your WT?

Do some brands sound better to you than others when used on the WT?

Did you get some or all of your mutes from Flip?

About all I have around here is an old junker stone lined cup mute and I think a LeBlanc straight mute so if I start using mutes in the WT, I'm not going to recork the old junkers.

I did at one time have the Jo-Ral copper harmon mute and got that from Flip... but I'm not much into that sound and I didn't care for the weight of the mute.

I guess I'm thinking mainly about a really good cup and straight mute. And, possibly a harmon that sounds really good but not heavy like the Jo-Ral (if there is such a thing as a lighter harmon that also sounds good)

2. tptdoofus

tptdoofus New Friend

Mar 23, 2004
    Somerset, KY
    Good practice mute for the WT

Brass Spa makes a nice small mute that works very well with the WT as a practice mute to keep the sound level down while practicing. It's made of plastic or hard rubber, is about as big as your fist so it doesn't take up any room in the case, and fits in the WT bell very well. Got mine at last year's ITG before I ever dreamed of owning a WT, and was surprised at how well it fits and works. I think it was about 50 bucks or so. Might be worth taking time to look at at this year's ITG if you need a practice mute.

Roger (tptdoofus)

3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Facet Mutes has made straight and cup mutes, specifically tailored for the WT, with great results. Please click on the link in my signature and take a look!

Ciao!
    Bruce

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I have a Facet cup mute as well as their straight mute, both with the corks augmented to fit a Wild Thing - something the good people at Facet were thoughtful enough to inquire about before sending the mutes. They both fit perfectly.

In addition, the Best Brass Harmon-style mute fits a WT bell snugly and securely. I believe Flip also sells that mute, although the photo on his site makes it appear that the foam has been augmented a bit. I haven't handled one of his, so can't be certain if there are any differences between it and the regular production Best Brass.

5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Brest Brass Harmon ftw.

My JoRal cup/straight mute combo works as is for both mute types.

EZ bucket, none better for my money.

However, I had a reeeealy hard time finding a gold-plated toilet plunger.

6. gdong

gdong Piano User

Jun 7, 2008
    LA/Lake Tahoe/NYC
    has anyone tried a trumcor cup or straight mute in the WT bell? results?