Best Pastor Ever

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Dec 27, 2010.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    After Sunday Mass yesterday, our parish priest comes up to me and thanks me for the great music on Christmas eve. I thanked him and asked him "The trumpet wasn't too loud, was it?" He says, "No, it wasn't loud enough!

He must have seen my eyes widen, he adds, "Maybe I shouldn't have said that!" with a grin.

You know, its amazing, one heartfelt thank you can make up for so many unwanted criticisms and renew our love of performing.

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Good for him!! And good for you too! Im the only trumpet player in our church,and I got left off the Christmas Eve service. And our "pianist", who plays like he has boxing gloves on while he's playing had all the music, except for our choir.........................

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I'm very fortunate that my choir director trusts me to decide which songs
    are "trumpet needy" and then lets me pick what I will play. About 10% of the time there
    is a part with the song, about half the time I write something, the rest of the time I improvise on my C trumpet.

She (choir director) thanked me on Christmas eve and appreciates that I am turning down well paying gigs to play at our church. Even though I'm not paid and don't want to get paid by my own church, its a bonus to be thanked by the director, priest and fellow choir members.

I'm not trying to brag or anything, just sharing how good it feels to be appreciated.

4. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    I guess Ive just gotten used to being "last in line" -I kid you not, Im the only trumpet player in the whole church,but yet they let "sub-par" players and singers do everything. Im not bragging, but theres really nobody in my church with even a close proximity to me in musical knowledge. I offer tips on the p.a., monitor placement,e.q. settings,mic placement, etc. But yet they go out and pay someone to come in and do it(the p.a.) After attending the same church for 45 years, I dont feel like I should have to ask to do anything(play, sing, adjust p.a. etc) But, Im not one of the "clique", so I just wade it out. Am I venting? I guess,but I just wanted everyone to realize that, if you have it good,appreciate it. Ive got 41 years of musical experience, but Im treated like a rookie. If you all have a good rappor with your church and pastor-hats off to you!! I wish I did!

5. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not to tell you what to do, or how to "run" your life, but it sounds like, from a musical stand-point at least, it's time to make a change in your church! It may be where you've gone for 45 years, but music is one way that you worship. If you can't worship that way & make you feel fulfilled, then maybe there's somewhere that you can use your talents MUCH better. Just sayin...... :dontknow:

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Our music minister is a professional trumpeter, so when music programs come up, he hires professional trumpeters. Sad, considering the number of brass players in our church!

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

The Bible states that, " a prophet has little honor in his own country". Does that statement fit your situation?

OLDLOU>>

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    There seems to be no shortage of church gigs. Get your name (and horn) out there and help out someone else's church and you will be blessed in the end.

Greg

9. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    Exactly. I attended my previous church for 17 years, was only twice asked to play trumpet. Once I just showed up to the worship team's practice and told them I was playing along...went very well, but they just didnt ask me to continue. Yet they keep asking the violinist to play :thumbdown:.

I changed to a different church, just because the congregation LOVES brass music. I dont like the church as much, but they want me to play trumpet week after week...almost too much for me to handle, but I'm glad I'm appreciated!

I've also been playing at a couple other churches in the area, they love it! Its just weird that my home church didnt like the trumpet, but everywhere else I play begs me to come back. :thumbsup:

10. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Ive given the church changing idea some time in my head and heart. This has been going on for years-about 9 years ago, I was really heavy into writing Christian music-contemporary songs, around 150 in about 2 years time. So one day, I go to praise band practice, and asked if maybe they would like to try one of my tunes I had written, and they said,"not really-we want to keep doing P & W songs that they are familiar with"-and I was cool with that. Congregations need to hear the songs a bit before they will sing along, so that was fine with me. Then, only 1 week later, as I was sitting in church(wasnt playing that week) the guitarist says," And now, we're gonna play for you a song I wrote this week" I WAS FLABBERGASTED!!!!!!! After I was given the " we need to do songs they know" speech, and then this? Needless to say, I never played with that bunch again,and they have all dissappeared from our church-they also made our pastor at that time retire-they made it a living hell for him! So, sorry about the non-trumpet rant, but had to let go. Its been a struggle,to say the least. Im going to explore some of the area's other churches-Im sure someone will want to hear what I have to say AND play!!:play: And God gets the glory!!!!!