Best Pastor Ever

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Dec 27, 2010.

1. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    In my experience, if 148 people love the horn and 2 people hate it, the pastor is only going to hear from the 2.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Remember Lads - your God will know. :thumbsup:

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've played pretty much the gamut of church music, from European cathedrals with awesome orchestral musicians to a funky little church in the "Bohemian" district of Seattle.

Seattle was fun. We had a piano, guitar, bass, a great singer and trumpet--me. I improvised like crazy trying to fit in with the texture, and to boot we made it a point to "never rehearse to be so good that we took away from the message."

Being humble as a person is easy ("ahh, shucks" works always!) but in a musical context as a trumpet player it is hard--we are included because we can help paint the text, whether it be the filigree in Bach or a sustained long tone hiding within the texture in a funky little church.

It is great to be noticed, but sometimes it is greater to remain unnoticed.

I still prefer making violists jump at the right moment to lurking, but both can be enjoyable.

Such is our craft.

4. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    At this time, between the wife, my SIL, and I, we're the only special music our little church has. Two horns and a flute, plus a guitar( accustic). We have a random duo of elderly organist/pianists, of which one would like to retire. The other like to do specials involving us occasionaly. At one time, the wife and I were involved in a contemporary group, plus we played/sang in a praise group at another church fronted by a really good leader/writer. My Yamaha and her good flute are engraved with " For GOD and GOD alone".
    The church we're at now is fairly appreciative of our efforts, but we do occassionaly have some volume complaints. the sanctuary is pretty small, though.........Buck:oops:

5. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    A long time ago I played with a small, talented, amateur ensemble at church (three trumpets - 2 very talented, 2 bones, french horn and a few others). We played every Sunday night (worship music, offertories and choir b/u) and also did the annual Christmas, Easter and Summer productions (lots of music, we took several of the productions on the road). The year after I moved, the music minister decided to hire professional players for the bigger productions (not because I left - I played 2nd trumpet). This upset members of the ensemble and led to the end of the group and ultimately the decline of this church. To many, performing in church is about participating and making music "for the Lord".

6. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    As an exmple of the "music directors" song choice for Christmas Eve service,he played" I saw mommy kissin Santa Claus", and "Jingle Bell Rock"-not your typical Bible=based Christmas songs!(our current pastor uses alot of secular music during service) ANd then he did the same thing on Sunday.I took your advice and have already sent an e-mail to a local church with a thriving congregation and music program,and will contact some others too. I have never, nor will I ever, beg to use my gifts in my own church-there should be plenty of places I can worship my Lord and Savior where I would be appreciated!! Praise the LORD!!!!:play:

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I have it pretty good in the church we attend now. My Wife is the music director. I'm the boss on Friday & Saturday nights when we play for my band, but Sunday mornings She's the boss. So I don't pick on Her when She plays piano for me, and She doesn't pick on me when I play trumpet for Her!

8. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

You are right. Get out of there as fast as you can. Be like Lot and don't look back.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Our music director loves trumpet. With 2 trumpets in the band now, most of our music has become trumpet intensive. It actually works for me because I have to practice or else. We also have 3 saxes, 2 bones and a french horn. As far as the two "Christmas songs", there are very few I hate but momma kissin' Santa Claus is the worst Christmas song ever, bar none. I won't play secular music so I can't imagine how you feel playing it in church! Sounds like you go to a secular church. "Directors" that hire outside the church just for a professional sound are spiritual morons. Nothing dumber than putting the locals "in their place". I believe God will lead you to the right place so you can use the gift He gave you and it will bring Him glory at the same time. God bless you!:thumbsup:

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Secular music should not be sung during church services.
    I think we get enough secular Christmas "stuff" for 2 months and can leave it out of church.

amzi likes this.