Best Pastor Ever

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    The biggest problem with congregations is they appreciate music but know little about. Being heard "some of the time" will get a better reaction than being heard all the time. Some hymns I will lurk in the undertones of the song and then others I will bring it out a little more. Also, everyone will complain about bad music without knowing what to complain about. Most times for brass players its the volume but bad tone and wrong notes will get you the attention you are not looking for. Once there was a choir member who complained I was too loud. His reply was for the choir to sing louder. Was glad for the support but at the same time he knew I would bring it down a little. Volume is the key to getting along in church music.
    The best advice for those in church orchestra is this, you will be frustrated a lot, but taking the high road will always bring you more satisfaction than pitching a fit and blowing up. Then again, if it is that bad, then attend a church where you fit in more so than appreciated for your talent. For me I play to Glorify God first and foremeost. Second on the list to allow people to get to a worshipful state through the music being played. I never perform in church but at the same time you want to play as well as you can so others can experience the same.

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    At service this past Sunday, as we did the I saw Mommy/Jingle Bell Rock medley, a highly disgruntled church member came up to the platform and said," HOW ABOUT PLAYING CHURCH MUSIC????" to the "leader"-and he said something to my brother(one of our 2 singers) but I didnt hear what he said. Every Sunday, we have a preparation of heart and mind time, and there is a slide show and music to go with it,which the pastor picks out. And 99.9% of the time, its something secular-and the pictures are usually military-themed. Ive got nothing against our armed forces, but the pastor includes its almost every week(he's a veteran) I just dont know if I can worship fully at that church anymore-the "band" we have is our "leader/keyboard attempter,2 singers, and me-the lowly trumpet player. We cant get anyone interested to join, and I believe its because of the "leader"-hes just a poor leader, and his playing is, well, less than good. And even my wife, who knows nothing about music, realizes his mistakes-and they are so frequent-but he's the pastors buddy, so he's locked in. Prayer is so vital to me right now!!!:-?

3. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    I know what you mean...I hate when other stuff takes away from a good moment. When our assistant pastor directs music, he sometimes will stop a song and tell the congregation "you guys are singing this part incorrectly, it should sound like this:", and he will demonstrate...The way I see it, we all interpret a song our own way, and what works for us, works for us...sometimes an unwritten fermata or ritardando can just make or break the piece, who cares if it isnt written in the music. God doesnt care a bit if we sound "good" or not, He cares what is going on in our spirit while we sing/play the music. Thats my 2 cents.

4. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    I must chime in again because this is a subject near and dear to me and I would like to help those not experiencing the same joy I do every Sunday. First off, I didn't pick my horn up for almost 20 years after college. In fact I was a music major for 3 years until I just flat burned out. When I picked up my horn again some 5 years ago, my whole purpose and focus was to play in church whether every Sunday or just a couple of times a month. Our song leader is a friend and I talked him into letting us (me and a trombone guy) play along with the piano, keyboard, pipe organ, bass, and drums. I had to transpose everything on the fly or play guitar chord changes and then transpose. Just give me the key! Not very good at it but I did it because I wanted to play. Since that time we added sax, frenchhorn, flute, strings, clarinet, and a couple of more trumpets. Although very reluctant at first, our song leader now goes the extra mile every Sunday to make sure we have the correct charts and goes out buys arrangements just for us to do for offertories and such. Heck he even bought Finale and started playing with arrangements for different instruments. My point being, the reason a lot of music leaders are reluctant to allow the extra instruments is one, they don't understand them, and two, they really don't know how to use them. It's out of their comfort zone so they avoid it. My advice is to have a good understanding of this and offer to help with the arrangements. There are lots of arrangements out here on the web for little of nothing. Make the effort of being involved other than just showing up with a horn. In time they will learn more about how the instruments can really be a benefit in the service and will most likely take the ball and run with it. Then again, and I hate to say it, but there are those who will never accept it because it takes away from them. I would never be around a church music leader with that attitude.
    Hope this helps!

5. BandDirectorChops

BandDirectorChops New Friend

Oct 15, 2010
    I played three Christmas worship services, two on organ, and one on piano and trumpet. At the first one on organ, I volunteered to sit in on trumpet with the "family" band that was going to do the postlude. The pastor said, "yes," the "family" said, "no." The pastor lost. Probably all for the best.

The second organ service there was no opportunity to pull the horn out. I was subbing in a local church that I had never been to. Stick to the materials!

The final service was at the Catholic church that I semi-belong to. It was my group, but I had a bunch of my high school students sing along and one covered two of the hymns on piano so I could play trumpet. Although I heard many compliments on the first two services, this one was the best received and the most fulfilling because I had students involved (who could handle the music). I also had someone come up to me and say, "why, I didn't know you played the trumpet too!"

Next time, I'm sending a memo.

Oh, and to the OP, I would expect such a response in your diocese. The Winona Diocese has ordained a bunch of cool priests over the last 50 years.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Run, do not walk, RUN. I have been privy to this many times working in churches and it isn't relegated to just music. It's called nepotism and there is nothing you can do about it. If he's the pastors "buddy", you will never rise above his level. If you do, you will be set upon by this "leader" and be frustrated in not just your musical endeavors but also your spiritual aspirations. Nepotism has no place in the church and is a leading cause of churches reaching a plateau and then going into decline. It ain't just a season (if you know what I mean)!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just my opinion, the guys a jerk!:thumbsup:

8. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    An example of the praise band "leader" and his slightly un-orthodox way of doing things-last week during the pre-service praise band music, he pulls out Silent Night. Perfect-I know I can add some nice ad-lib parts to this, But, to our dismay, he starts playing it like Elton John's "Crocodile Rock"-just the goofiest thing you ever heard. But, being the professional that I am, I go along with it. THEN, he completely cuts out the middle section-the "round yon virgin,mother and child"part! WHO DOES THAT TO SUCH A SACRED SONG?????????? And when the others TRY to sing this nonsensicle wreck of an arrangement, he starts wailing over them in this off-key ranting-not because he's being led by the spirit, but that he wants to show off. It turns the whole song into a train wreck, and I just try to "fit in". He does the same thing when he plays piano for the hymns during the service.Im sure there are people in the congregation who have seen me shaking my head in dis-belief at some of the stunts he's pulled during worship! Its no wonder nobody wants to join the praise band. Im not bragging, its just that the few times our "leader: hasnt been able to be there, I get asked to do it. I can play piano enough to "get by", so we do songs we know, and KISS-keep it simple, stupid!! We punch out 4 songs in less than a half hour-everyone knows where to start, where to end, and no funky arrangements!!! And the singers all compliment me on the smoothness of rehearsal, and when we do them on Sunday,all goes well-and nobody is looking around in a confused state like when our "leader" pulls out some disco arrangement to "The Old rugged Cross" Ahh, a frustrating journey it has been!! And I dont dare say anything to the pastor-he doesnt like the boat rocked!!:shock:

9. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Im waiting for the day he ask me to bring my plunger mute to do a solo during "Amazing Grace"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock:

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    It sounds like this "leader" really wants to be in a 70's style rock band but isn't good enough. Being Catholic, we have much stricter guidelines than the church you are playing for.

Never the less, it sure doesn't seem like this guy is in it for the purpose of praise, but is seeking to relive some past rock and roll glory.