Best Pastor Ever

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Dec 27, 2010.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Whether you eventually leave or not is between you and Jesus. Sad to say, this is par for the course in most church music ministries. Someone with little talent is told by someone with little musical knowledge they sound good and they are off to the races to establish their "ministry". I am not that concerned with someone rearranging sacred music as long as it is tasteful and the congregation can participate (remember them). Your "director" sounds like he is on an ego trip. All you can do is pray for his eyes to be opened and that he will be open to change.
    I have done this and it seems to work subliminally.
    I play the "circus song" when things are getting out of hand. The leader finally asked me WHY I did that and I said it's what you play at a circus. They were mad, but, I made my point w/o an argument! When I feel things getting crazy, I go to the circus if you know what I mean ;-). I will also tell you, I've been at this church over 20 years so they know I'm not a moron.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    IF your pastor is unapproachable on this subject then you have another more serious issue to deal with. Sounds like you're in a non-denominational type of church where the pastor calls all the shots. Yes? Most pastors don't like dealing with musicians so this could very well be why his "buddy" is in charge.

3. likesRawCopper

likesRawCopper Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2010
    Georgia, United States
    Be sure that is the case - because in the church, after God, it's the pastor that gets the glory. They're still human and given to envy if not jealousy. If the pastor thinks some 'hot shot' trumpet player will receive more congregational focus than he will, the church gigs will require fewer and fewer trumpet parts. And yes, your voice will be heard less and less because you're the hot shot trumpet player. Let's face it - the Trumpet is both regal AND SEXY.

What high school instrument got the most solos? The Trumpet. The only thing cooler than the lead trumpet would be the entire Drum Corp with whom the lead trumpet 'could' stand shoulder to shoulder.

MY POINT - - The trumpet IS SEXY - the Pastor likes to think he is, and after an awesome trumpet solo, the pastor will be hard pressed to get the females in the congregation to stop thinking about the trumpet player.

Outsiders are hired because their faces are unfamiliar to the congregation AND after the gig - they go away! << that's important to the One God Has Called to 'trumpet' His Word.

Amen, brethren and sistren, Amen. Now go forth and do be humble.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's funny :lol::lol:

5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    A trumpet-playing pastor would be the bee's knees!:lol:

6. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    A post from shortly ago said something about him missing out on '70's rock, or something to that affect-this guy wouldnt even get a try-out with my band. And its kinda funny the way he took over. He waltzed in from another church, from where he "took his ball and went home" kinda thing, flashed his music degree from some fly-by-night school Ive never even heard of, and pushed the leader we had clean out of the church!!! And before you know it,he's a paid staff member!!! And I know its not all about talent-your heart has to be in the right place.but this guy has no regularity to anything he does, and its twice as bad for the congregation,who arent experienced singers, to follow!!! We learn the songs on Wednesday night, and at worship service on Sunday, he changes everything, and leaves us looking like goofs at each other, because we dont have a clue where he's going!! But, his changes ALWAYS suit him, because he's not the one looking dazed and confused!!! Its a train-wreck every week,and even though Ive been going there since I was a wee child(Im 50 now) I just dont think I can take any more of the charades. Im certainly praying for this whole mess to be worked out-and God always does work it out. I think I need to leave before they decide to build the 1.5 million dollar sanctuary that they are discussing, and then try to guilt me into giving more money!!!! And IMHO, I aint no sexy trumpet player!!LOL:play:

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Bottom line: Church music should be for praise of God, not for the glorification of the musician. There are other venues for this. I love traditional music, and our music minister does an awesome job of this. We have a more contemporary service for those who prefer 7-11 music.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmmm Best Pasta Ever - now that's a tough one. :cool:

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    New Baptist and Methodist ministers in town. They found my Christmas CD in their libraries and both invited me to play "live" for Christmas presentations. It was a personal downer to decline both due to present dental and health issues, but I did sing with the choir at the Methodist church on Christmas eve. My voice cracked twice, but others weren't totally there either, but all in all, the Lord didn't mind. For what we had, I think we did as well as we could and the music was very nicely received by the congregation.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    You can get'em next year, Ed:play: