Best Pastor Ever

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gzent, Dec 27, 2010.

1. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    Couldn't agree more.

2. likesRawCopper

likesRawCopper Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2010
    Georgia, United States
    Those are noble words indeed. God is listening and watching this thread and He winked.

Music is played to stir the congregation so that they keep coming and dropping money in the bottomless dish. Musicians play in church to be seen playing and to be told, "your music blessed me..." or some such. There is always a little ego behind the desire to play. Not that that's bad. Don't forget, the Ego, like Stress, is a motivator.

The motives of the musician who 'desires' to play in church are far different from those of the pastor who is committed to growing his flock. Playing trumpet is cathartic and therapeutic. Playing trumpet while facing onlookers gratifies the ego. God knows this and uses it for He designed it. It's not bad; it's a tool.

In my early 20s, I attended church too. I was renting a Yamaha Flugelhorn (didn't keep it, too expensive). I asked the pastor if I could play for the morning and evening services 'one' Sunday. He agreed because it was a new dynamic - a new something besides organ and piano. 26 years later (now) let me tell you the truth as to why I wanted to play.... because I wanted to send the message, 'look what I have and what I can do with it'. I did it for me, not for God, to ingratiate my own ego under the 'ruse' of glorifying God.

So, in the end, it works out. Our ego, which God designed to motivate us, is used as a tool by the pastor to help bring in the $$ cha-ching.

I've said all I need to say in this matter. I will stay off this thread now.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I have recorded the "circus song" vis Entry of The Gladiators by Julius Fucik which is played at the Greatest Show On Earth when the clowns enter the ring. While some who play in church may be clowns, they aren't funny. A librarian here in Jackson NC is also a professional clown and she occasionally does this bit for the children at the library pro bono (FREE) as a lawyer would say, and now plays my CD for her entry. Hopefully, the "clowns" in church will be ignored (shunned) and go elsewhere.

4. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well played my good man! Well played!!! :thumbsup:

5. Shofarblast

Shofarblast New Friend

Nov 28, 2010
    Kentucky
    Hey everyone,

I think Rick is right. I was a Minister of Music in several churches in the past with more than 20 years experience at it and I think he is right. There was little music already prepared for band type instruments. A lot of church musicians just don't know what to do with them and they don't have the music for them to play. Some will be willing to include other instruments if you can help them with the music. Some will not be willing because of biases and their ideas about what "church music" should sound like.

From my perspective I think the logistics of music and such is the biggest factor for the majority of church music directors. A lot of them are part time (which is what I was all the years I did church music) and they don't have the time even if they have the knowledge to prepare the music themselves. This is one of the goals I have for the music I write and arrange--to help church musicians incorporate brass, woodwinds and other instrumentalists and give them an opportunity to participate in the worship experience.

I am glad to see so many people involved in this discussion about music in church.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I wouldn't say I've played one of my horns a lot in a church service, but much more than I can count on my fingers and toes although still only about 1/5th as much as I've sung in choir or soloed in voice. This said, I've never found it difficult to transpose a hymnal for any of my horns, very tedious by hand, but not difficult. This came about as were taught in public school band during WWII when nothing else was available and fancy computer music programs were then not yet manufactured ... or even a home computer.

Yep, that is C instrument music mostly to Bb, F, Eb, and BBb instruments.

Someone said a tenor voice chart up an octave would be good on trumpet, and I'll agree to the extent that it is a harmony part to the melody.

I've even switched an F instrument (mellophone) to the melody with Bb (trumpet / cornet) playing harmony. I like such especially with several tangos. Whoops, they aren't church music. Such also works well with a lot of folk gospel songs IMO. No, I haven't yet any flugelhorn for such coloratura.

7. BORTrumpetMom

BORTrumpetMom New Friend

Jul 3, 2010
    North Carolina
    My sons have been fortunate--in our church, we had an amateur brass group that was made up of 5 men who played tuba, trombone, French horn and trumpet. Said group disbanded in the mid-1990s as all but the tuba player left the church. When the older son was old enough to play, the tuba player (now a surrogate grandfather) encouraged him to join. We now have two ninth-grade trombone players, and the 2 sons (10th and 8th grade) as first and second trumpet, and the tuba player is the doting leader of all. I didn't realize how beloved this group of mostly teenaged musicians had become at our church until the oldest son could not play in November and December due to injury. We have had more inquiries and tons of encouragement from church members and pastors who suddenly learned why the brass group had missed Advent this year. Needless to say, this kind of encouragement has been a huge part of the reason why all 4 boys continue to play brass. I wish all teen brass players could have a congregation as supportive as ours and a role model like Leroy (the tuba player who has "adopted" all of the boys)!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  8. phittle

phittle Pianissimo User

May 9, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    My parish priest is an ex music teacher....He goes out of his way at the end of Mass to recognize whatever musician is performing (instrumental or vocal), and encourages applause.....makes one feel good to know you're not being taken for granted.

9. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I'm glad your priest encourages applause. I've never understood why some churches forbid it. Applause is not just acknowledgement of the musician, but also the Creator of his talents. To me, the silence is an ostentatious display of false humility, which is the worst sort of pride. God should be glorified at every opportunity. Besides, let's face it: Musicians need encouragement because we are sensitive people. If we weren't, we wouldn't be musicians.

10. Nerf

Nerf Piano User

Dec 7, 2008
    Virginia Beach, VA
    First off I hope your son heals quickly! 3 CHEERS FOR LEROY!!!! :play: What a guy to take all of those young musicians under his wing & "show them the ropes". You're VERY fortunate to have that type of environment for your boys to grow up in!