Best portable music stand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by miles71, Nov 30, 2008.

1. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    OK guys, here is your homework. With the holiday season coming up we are all traveling to gigs. I am wondering what you guys use as a great portable music stand. I want something with the stability of a full "Band room" black stand with the compact mobility of a swiss army knife.

Lets hear it!!

TD

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hamilton makes a stand with many holes cut out of the music rest, to lighten it. It is a break-down, 2-piece affair that comes with a black carrying bag. There is room for several fakebooks in with top portion. It is NOT a swiss-army knife, but at between 40 and 50 bucks is a good deal. It is well constructed, fully adjustable, and sturdy like the ones used in band. There's even a shoulder strap so you can carry it along with your flug and trumpet cases.
    veery

3. TrumpEd

TrumpEd Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2008
    Texas
    The Manhassett 'portable' is neither light, small, or IMO portable. It is however very stable and comes with a case that can hold music:shock:. Let's see, double trumpet case, mute/junk bag, music, large portable stand, 2-wheel dolly...Honey we need another mini-vanROFL!!

Actually I keep using one of those cheesy/cheap folding stands, sometimes with a small ankle weight bag around the bottom. I'd like to see if anyone has a good answer.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  4. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    I have an assortment of portable stands and I do not like any of them. On some of them, you place a piece of music and it starts to shake and wobble like a new born calf. Others require an Engineering Degree to assemble.

I have gone back to hauling my regular Manhassett around, it is sturdy, can raise or lower with no issues. It can be a PITA some days but I'd rather do that than wonder if my stand is going to fall over if I turn the page,

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

The K&M folding stands, the heavy duty and extra-heavy duty, ones are pretty solid. Not particularly light, but they can hold up whatever you want to put on them.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I have Wenger portable stands.A little pricey but very portable and stable.

7. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
  8. bachstrad72

bachstrad72 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2007
    Philly
    PS Tony, great job a few weeks ago with your NYTC day. Great clinics! Everyone I talked to had a blast!

9. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
  10. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada