Best Practice Mute

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by John Heckathorn, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Gary Schutza

Gary Schutza Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2007
    Kansas City
    marsuleu,
    Yes, a practice mute is much softer than a straight mute. I don't use the Dennis Wick. I use a practice mute that is part of the "Silent Brass" system, I just don't use the electonics. It's the softest practice mute I've used that doesn't restrict the air-flow too much. I also sometimes use the Trumcor practice mute. It's not as soft, but is pretty free-blowing. Unfortunately, all the practice mutes are pretty pricey.
    By the way, just as an aside—Sometimes non brass playing composers think that if they want a softer sound they must specify "mute" in the part, thinking that it simply dampens the vibration/sound like a string instrument mute (sordino). It doesn't. It actually makes the sound more piercing or louder. Maybe this is where you got confused? Good practicing.

chip

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    If you're interested in a Silent Brass without the practice amp, you want the model PM-7 "pickup mute". It still has the microphone in it, but it's a lot cheaper without the amp.

4. sonarerocks

sonarerocks Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2009
    Omaha NE
  5. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    really quiet with Renuzit ... that's what I'm looking for, but I don't find Renuzit products in Romania ( only Glade & Co. ) :(
    a friend of mine went in Belgium/Holland . I asked him to buy me a Renuzit if he finds one. if not, I need to buy a practice mute, so , what do you recomand : Denis Wick or BrassSpa ? which one is quieter , and which one aids less resistance ?!? ( I preffer less resistance and quiet together :) )

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  6. marsuleu

marsuleu Piano User

Mar 30, 2009
    Bucharest , Romania
    still waiting for your answers... I'm forced to buy this mutes over the internet so I can't test them...that's why I need an advise...

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Get the Best Brass . We are on page seven, why are you waiting for an answer? There is plenty of info on this thread. Buy one, use it, be happy.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  8. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    My practice - music room is directly above, but connected to a "great room" with kitchen and TV. I use the Yamaha Silent Brass. It is an electronic mute. Very little sound out - but it has a pick up - you listen through your headphones - and it sounds very natural. It has been very successfuly in our househould.

9. markwalther

markwalther New Friend

Nov 20, 2008
    Wheaton, Illinois
    Hands down the Tom Crown Practice Mute.

Check it out at: Tom Crown Mutes | Mutes | Practice

:)

10. soundgrazer

soundgrazer Pianissimo User

Oct 6, 2008
    Montreal
    What do you mean you can't test them. Go to a store, try them out.

I still like my "practice" mute which is a harmon mute with a cork stuck where the stem usually goes with a hole drilled in the cork. This is cheap and practical for people who need a Harmon mute anyhow.