Best practice room?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rapier, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    I normally play in the dining room. Wooden floors, plain walls and not much furniture. Nice echoey sound etc. I could use another room that is carpeted, furnished and has curtains instead, and that has quite a dead sound.

So what is the best room to practice in? Dead or lively?

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Try your bathroom, it probably has way more echo than your dining room (unless you've got all stuffy carpets and stuff :lol:). I play in my garage sometimes, which has a huge sound, and I liketo play just outside as well.

3. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    We've got a living room with high ceiling that makes it sound as though I'm playing in a church. Much nicer in there than in the tiny study where the music and stand and horns reside.

4. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    The funny thing is, practicing in a really dead room where you hear nothing but the sound coming out the horn end is best. That's where you really know how you're tonguing, how well you are supporting your tone, staying in tune, etc., It's fun to play in a live room because almost everyone sounds better. But the natural reverb can cover up things you're not doing, it evens out tone, smooths bad intonation and cleans up bad tonguing.

Practice in a dead room, perform in a live one.

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I agree. The less lively the better. An acoustically deader room will encourage you to play more openly and loudly, and allow it to feel good to the ears. You hear better and more accurately in a less lively room.

Turtle

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Hopefully, I will be tutoring returning 4 boys on trumpet for the 2nd year in an 18'x24' room with a 12' dropped ceiling come September. It has both an internal window and external window glazed with Lexlite(R) and both have plastic venetian blinds. The flooring is aggregate. It is part of the Northampton County Cultural & Wellness Center and comes complete with 2 folding six foot tables and twelve folding chairs and a trash can. I must pay $20.00/4 weeks @ 2 hours per week. I don't think any room could be less expensive. Also, access to biological facilities as needed! Durn, I'll still have to tote music stands. Oh yes, the walls are glaze finished concrete block and there is HVAC.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012