Best set up for recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bwanabass, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Hiya all,

I have been playing around with my little home recording set up and experimenting with different horns. I was wondering if you folks wouldn't mind weighing in on a question that I have about your preferences for recording vs. live playing situations.

My big question really has to do with the bell on the trumpet in question. Would it be safe to say that a more focused, directional core sound that comes from a smaller-belled instrument is preferable in a recording situation? For example, take the two horns that I am experimenting with at the moment: A Cannonball 789 with a 5+" bell and an Olds Super with a 4.75. The Cannonball has a much more enveloping, spread kind of sound, with the Super being a bit more focused. The question is this: is the more focused wave of sound coming out of the smaller bell going to result in a better sound? I suppose it is totally subjective, and dependent on the desired spiund on the recording, I would love to hear some of your thoughts on this.

This is probably a total noob :dontknow: question, but I am totally new in recording any kind of wind instrument. Hand me a bass guitar, and I'm fine (plug and play), but I am finding that all of the slightest nuances (mic placement, trumpet set-up, room) make huge differences in the sound achieved on the trumpet recordings that I am making.

Shower me with your wisdom, O TM sages!

Thanks, as always :)

2. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I wish I could help you as I too have been toying with trying to do some recording, what does your setup consist of.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    First, the "recording studio" room has a significant impact on the recorded sound, but I don't believe instruments played by competent player do. I can't understand all the electronics, but I use a Zoom HN 4 for evaluation and then in the wee hours use a MXL R144 Ribbon Microphone (Approx $100) fed into a pre-amp and then into my computer. If its real good I'll get the audio techs to enhance what I've done, but that's mega bucks.

4. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Close miking a Sure 57 works well.

5. Bwanabass

Bwanabass Mezzo Piano User

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Yes, I was thinking of doing that in conjunction with the ribbon mic. I would record each into its own track, and then mix the two to achieve the final sound. My pre-amp allows 2 simultaneous inputs for tracking, so that is a possibility. Thanks for bringing that idea back up from the recesses of my subconscious, Branson!

Wannabe, my current recording setup is an MXL R144 ribbon mic into a PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL USB interface, and I'm using Garageband (MacBook) as a DAW for now. The two horns I am recording are a Cannonball 789RL and an Olds Super, both with a Bach 3C mouthpiece.