Best Student Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by d_rummer, Jun 25, 2009.

1. d_rummer

d_rummer New Friend

May 26, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Which would be the best student trumpet out of:

Yamaha YT1335
    Jupiter 408L
    Bach 300 ??????

cheers.

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    The Yamaha YZ75 is a great little dirt bike for a beginner and if you want a musical instrument made by those who focus only on music, I would consider the other two, the Jupiter, or the Bach.

My son has a TR-300, and for the heck of it, I tried it once, and I was extremely impressed by it. It sizzles and responds as your experience is put into it.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    LOL! Hmmmm - is this result a surprise?

4. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    Ahhhhh, nope; no suprise:oops:

For a come back player, you sure have a nice, big collection of horns!

As a pun, one would assume you've listed them in some order of preference, yes? The choicest favorite at the top of your list, and your least favorite trumpet and cornet would be on the bottom, correct?; if so, this result is also not a surprise!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    It's fun to make jokes about Yamaha's motorcycle trumpets (and I certainly prefer to buy American)*, but the facts are:
    1. Yamaha started out as a music company (hence, the tuning fork logo),
    2. Yamaha has 1000x the sales revenue of Steinway. I think that economy of scale allows them to devote a lot of resources to making excellent musical instruments.

I could engage in reductio ad absurdum and claim that Bach trumpets can't be very good because the parent company spends too many resources building pianos, cellos, violins, saxophones, clarinets, flutes, tubas, etc.

* Vincent Bach was still on strike when I bought my Xeno. Sorry!

6. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009
    Look closer, they're not tuning forks, they're motorcycle suspension forks!ROFLROFL

They outsell Steinway because they're mass produced and cheaper and more easily obtainable. Just like it is easier to buy a Toyota than a Bentley.

And, we gotta pick on somebody, don't we? Sure, Yamaha is fine equipment. Because they're so successful, they'll get ribbed once in a while.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You buy the one that the trumpet teacher recommends. If you have no idea, you need some ears that you can trust. They need to be "in the program".

Only a real trumpet player that played real instruments could pick the best one of those 3.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Nope, they ARE tuning forks. :play:Yamaha has always been primarily a musical instrument company. Check out a book titled "Reflections on Music Popularization" by the Yamaha Music Foundation.;-);-)

9. Bachstul

Jan 25, 2009

I know they're tuning forks, I was kidding!!! And Japanese equipment is fine, that's why I love my Nikon and Nikor lenses! Do you beleive in deja vu'?

You sure have a nice, big collection of horns!

As a pun, one would assume you've listed them in some order of preference, yes? The choicest favorite at the top of your list, and your least favorite trumpet and cornet (or flugel, in your case) would be on the bottom, correct?; if so, this result is also not a surprise!

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Of course. We all have favorites and preferences. My jab was not at the fact that you have a preference - it was simply that we might have guessed in advance what it is based on your username. Speaking of that, does your mean you like both Bach and Kanstul or that you have a horn which is a hybrid of them?