Best Student Trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by d_rummer, Jun 25, 2009.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    After watching this thread for awhile, I have come to the conclusion that you have limited the choices far too much. Have you considered a student grade Getzen, made in the U.S.A.,( Wisconsin ), for that job? They are well made, responsive, and sturdy. The valves are as good as any, no matter the grade or price. My advice is to give one a try. In addition, if you peruse the auction sites you will find that the 300 and 400 series Getzen trumpets hold their value better than any of their competitors.

OLDLOU>>

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    I love jabs........... I like to have fun. I got into a topic of fun debate with one three weeks ago and I liked his post; I told him he was contradicting himself,. He was so angry about that he quit TM, so I went on a hiatus. Oh well, I figure, if it happens again, I'm selling out, or trading for trombones!

My oldest son got my silver Bach TR200 , he's going into high school, his younger bro, ten, got his TR 300 lacquer. I bought a pro horn, Kanstul 1600 scratch lacquer and a Kanstul 1525 lacquer flugel horn because I was getting out of the section and into more solo works.

I'm also interested in Schilke and Lawler.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  3. Sparks

Sparks New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I would recommend the bach student model. I played one for many years, notes tend to slot well and it's not too freeblowing; a little resistance is good. Someone mentioned getzen, and while I played a Getzen Capri (intermediate model) after my bach student before moving to a bach-strad, I probably preferred the bach student over the getzen.

Haven't playing Jupiter or Yamaha. If all are around same price, don't think one could go wrong with a bach student trumpet.

4. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    I agree that the OP should consider other horns, too, such as a Kanstul KTR-700 and a Getzen Eterna 700. I think you get incredible bang for your buck in both of these horns. Most everybody I've communicated with speak highly of the Yamaha 2335, and the Jupiter 600. All horns that should be tried out, if possible, before making your selection, IMHO.

Good luck with this!

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Thats a great question but one that you'll have to make. Regardless of what we say, you'll have to live with the decision. Try them out and decide which one "fits" you best.

6. d_rummer

d_rummer New Friend

May 26, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Thank you all, especially the Yamaha debate. I played Yamaha drums for about 15 years and they were just great. But as you get older your ears and tastes change now I play all Ludwig equipment they are a little less forgiving but they sound great (sorry about the non trumpet information). I will have a look at the Getzen and Kanstul as well. I have a Bundy trumpet which seems to have a lack of compression and I find it quite hard to play and a Besson embassy cornet. I probably need something easier to play at this my embrionic stage of trumpet playing.

cheers.

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I knew that Heh heh. Couldn't help myself. While my Schilke is my favorite, the rest are listed by key and type. Bbs 1st then C,D,Eb, Picc, cornet then flugels. I like them all for different reasons. The Yamaha flugel is one of my sweetest horns.