Best Teacher.....better be Charlie Geyer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Huggy Bear, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Huggy Bear

Huggy Bear Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2007
    Berea, OH
    Hi there A-Mac-Daddy,

You said that Mr. Charlie Geyer is the best teacher of the trumpet ever. Why?

Also, will you rate your bests

Classical Player - Mr. Michael Sachs (obviously!!!)
    Teacher - Mr. Charlie Geyer (?)
    Jazz Player - ?
    Lead Player - ?
    Low Note Player - ?
    Conductor - uh....maybe not
    Pimp/Informant - wink wink
    Method Book - ?
    Valve Oil - ?

Rowuk can also feel free to chime in....Fo' Shizzle!

Love,
    Huggy Bear

2. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Huggy,
    Whoa there. I think what I said is that Barbara and Charlie are the best teachers ever. I will explain why I think that in a new topic that I will try to get up in the next few days. Here are my favorites.

orchestral player-Jim Thompson
    teacher-Barbara Butler
    jazz player-Chet Baker
    lead player-Steve McDade
    low note player-Jimmy Spragg
    conductor-Dutoit
    pimp-TBD
    method book-Getchell Second Studies
    valve oil-Holton

Andrew

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Armondo Ghitalla
    Vince Chicowitz
    Arnold Jacobs
    Maurice André
    Heinz Zickler
    Dan Patrylak

are THE best teachers in my opinion (only my first hand experiences, but not in any particular order). They have all withstood the test of time. Ms. Butler and Mr. Geyer have powerful followings, I think we need to wait a generation or two to "rate" them.

4. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Rowuk,
    Let me give you an example of what they have done in North America since 1989 when I first went to Eastman to study with them.

This is a list of orchestras that either have now or have had Butler/Geyer students in the section.

Chicago Symphony (3 out of 4)
    New York Philharmonic (2 out of 4)
    Philadelphia Orchestra
    Los Angeles Philharmonic
    San Francisco Symphony
    Atlanta Symphony
    Toronto Symphony
    Vancouver Symphony
    Montreal Symphony
    Dallas Symphony
    Saint Louis Symphony

These are just the ones off the top of my head and they don't include orchestras with smaller budgets. You can wait as long as you want, but these numbers won't change. I believe they will continue to grow as they have since they started in the eighties. Opinions are great, but it's pretty hard to argue these kinds of numbers. By the way I wouldn't call it a following so much as a really long line of success stories that to some degree owe their successes to Barbara and Charlie.
    Andrew

5. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    The conductor of the Community College/community orchestra I play principal in is friends with Charles Geyer,in fact he lived with him and Barbara for 2 years, in the 1970"s when he was in the Chicago Symphony. I always enjoy hearing stories of how quickly Mr. Geyer could sight read and how the brass section is like a giant organ and the sound would never break. I also study at the University of Oregon but really enjoy his insights. He is tough on me but in a good way. Last term we did the Leonore overture No. 3 and this term we are expanding the orchestra using extras from around town to do Pictures at an Exhibition. I'm hoping some day to get a lesson and check out the program. I'm an older player (35) and don't really expect to get in the program but I think spending a few days in Chicago and checking out the scene would be quite rewarding.

6. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    HI,
    On second thought let me revise me original statement. I would say that Barbara and Charlie are the best orchestral teachers in North America and I think that their success at placing students in jobs makes them the best I have ever heard of. Everyone has their own opinion and the truth is that nobody can really be wrong on this sort of thing. I am of course totally biased because I am sure I would not have my job without having worked with them.
    Andrew

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  7. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Vacchiano's track record as a teacher was pretty remarkable, too...

8. Froggy

Froggy New Friend

Mar 25, 2008
    Edmonton
    Best orchestral Player- Glenn Fischthal/ Mike Sachs
    Best Teacher- Jim Dooley/Mike Sachs ----although its whomever you work the best with and who can get you to produce the best.
    Conductor- Blomstedt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Valve oil- T2
    Orchestra-San Francisco!!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Andrew,
    no arguments from me about their qualifications and successes (many of which I was not aware of)!

My list came from people that I studied with that also have had incredible impact on the brassworld as a whole. I didn't think about checking how many students my favorites have placed. I don't think that we even need to rate great anythings in this world. It makes more sense just to enjoy the fruits and there are truly plenty of enjoyable recordings available!

Speaking of which, Toronto is getting a lot of playtime on German radio these days, great playing and you also have a great recording engineer. Lots of fine details in the recordings!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  10. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Hi Rowuk,

Andrew is in Toronto, not Montreal. :D

You've probably been listening to Jim Thompson (or "Chompson" if you've been listening to the Dutoit Petrouchka :lol: ). The bulk of their recording seems to have been done when Jim was there.

J