Best teeth for trumpet playing (braces)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpeter_1, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Trumpeter_1

Trumpeter_1 New Friend

May 5, 2011
    Hi!

Well, i've been wondering what kind of teeth is better for trumpet playing. I mean like the shape of the teeth or anything. It is just that i'm not sure if i should get braces. I've been playing trumpet for 6 months and i'm doing great, so im scared of getting braces because maybe i won't do so great after getting my teeth aligned. My teeth look like horse teeth i mean a little bit going outside. So i'm wondering if maybe my teeth are helping me with trumpet playing, or if i get braces it will be the same.

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Don't worry about it. You will have an adjustment to make after you get your braces and one after they are off. However, if you are diligent and patient you will adjust and everything will be fine. I have had a number of students who got braces and then had them off they have done fine.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Do you even have a choice?

Everything makes a difference. Changing your teeth will change your playing. With only 6 months behind you, there are no real habits that you will be messing with. The chances of your teeth really helping or hurting at this stage is about ZERO.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    When I was in 6th grade I got braces about 2 months after I started playing the trumpet. I got them off in my 8th grade year and found out I liked the braces after all. It took me a few weeks to get into the playing level I was at with the braces. Once you got ride of the space between you lips and teeth it makes a lot of changes. But you should be fine with braces.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Just concentrate on getting your teeth into the music! The rest will come naturally.

6. Trumpeter_1

Trumpeter_1 New Friend

May 5, 2011
    But I've heard that perfectly aligned teeth are not the best for trumpet playing.

7. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    WOW!! What great news! I have a mouth that looks like an old broken down picket fence. I now have another reason to tell myself why I am getting all that applause. It is because of these terrible looking teeth I am blessed with

Aydn likes this.
  8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I can only believe that the person telling you this does not have a PERFECTLY ALIGNED associative cortex connecting his expressive motor function with his higher integrative hypocampus memory recall function. Either that, or s/he does not quailfy as a primate. Trust me, I am a physician and know these kinda thingys.

Aydn likes this.
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I also bet the person telling does have a perfectly aligned anus recti muscle. Again, trust me, I am a physician and know these thingys.

10. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    Is that anythng like a cereral - rectal inversion?