best tip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Nov 18, 2010.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Solar Bell, just checked it out. Thanks for the heads up.

2. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Cornyandy, if I could sing "Nessun Dorma" out of my horn like Pavorotti sang it I'd be a rich man. That's my favorite opera piece of all time.

3. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Totally agree with the 'sing' comment but differently than Andy was saying. To 'sing' the melodies, intervals, pitches in your head before sound even enters the horn is probably one of the greatest tips.

Helps tremendously with sight reading, too.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hey Songbook,

I'm a tenor too (ahem couple of second tenor leads and a lot of chorus work honestly I think I've got more chance of Nesty Doormat on the Horn than the voice) Seriously start with mezzo aria, see if you can get the horn to cry in "Softly Awakes my Heart" or "Rusalka's Song to the Moon" and go on from there. Also Listen to Alison Balsom's new recording of Arbans Theme and Variaitons from "Norma" Largely bassed on "Casta Diva"

I like left mids comment too about singing the tune in your head before it comes out. I think it all hankers back to what comes out of the bell being the morst important thing

Cheers

Andrew

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    1.) Rhythm is primary
    2.) "If you want to improve your roll, then roll - 10 minutes a day, every day"

(The second one was related by a college level percussion instructor about what his college level teacher told him when he approached him for some sage advice, or tip or trick that was going to help him improve his drum roll. The take-away from it is that sometimes there is no shortcut, or "magic pill" that is going to do it for you, and that the best approach is disciplined, focused practice. When you think about it, how often do you really grind out even 10 minutes of focused practice on a single aspect of your playing?)

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    listening without prejudice

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Amen Markie (Sorry religion)

Andrew

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Keep your mouth closed, your bowels open and never volunteer for anything-- oops that was for the army. I'll get back to ya.:dontknow:

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---------------
    Check out Jeff Beck's version.