Best tips for lip slurs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Dec 11, 2010.

1. RustoleusMaximus

RustoleusMaximus Pianissimo User

Feb 1, 2008
    Use a metronome and work up your speed slowly.

2. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello, Go to Sheet Music Plus - World's Largest Selection of Sheet Music. In the Trumpet lesson/method book section. You can buy My First Clarke by Carl Fisher. Cost is $9.95 plus shipping. This Music Method Book site etc., also has the First Arban and Second Arban Music Tech. Books by Carl Fisher. Plus much more. Very good prices and all books well made. Good luck

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    :thumbsup:
    Actually just tried it and it works! Not that I was having problems, but it is another way to do it. Thanks, VB! :thumbsup:

4. Rallyntando

Rallyntando New Friend

Nov 18, 2009
    New England
    Michael Sachs has been advocating the Bai Lin Lip Flexibilities for his students at CIM.

I like them, but I still focus on my Schlossberg.

5. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Personally I think it is best to work on lip SLURS before lip TRILLS, so I would suggest Iron's book "Twenty Seven Groups of Exercises".

Then, do the following:
    1)Make it part of your warm-up. Practice for a few minutes, at least. Do this BEFORE tonguing warmups, btw.
    2)Focus on making them as smooth and natural as possible. Like others have said, using a metronome and slowly build it up. For instance, you might progress 20 BPM in a week. so no need to rush. Just use common sense.
    3)Play them at a -comfortable- volume; you don't necessarily have to play them ppp like Clarke's studies. (Of course, learning to play them softly eventually is beneficial.) When you go higher in the partials it should get a bit louder naturally, which is ideal.
    4)REST after every time you play through an exercise! Even if you don't use much pressure, these can tire you out.
    5)Think BEAUTIFUL music as you practice them. No matter what exercise you do, you ought to treat them with your best sound and feeling. Seriously. It makes it so much more fun, and it greatly helps in the long run.

Even if you don't get the Irons book, you ought to consider some of the tips I gave if you haven't already. Oh, yeah, and of course there's the advice of making sure you rely on tongue vowel movement and you air, not pressure.

6. Iceman444443

Iceman444443 New Friend

Sep 29, 2010
  7. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    ahhhh-eeee

breath, like rowuk said. Also, think about air speed... faster on the higher note...

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I like the Charles Colin "Advanced Lip Flexibilities" .

9. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    I usually work on lip slurs for about 10-15 minutes of my daily practice session...............and they are getting better!!:play:

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I looked for Vulgano Brother's esoteric Magic Bubble Book on lips slurs, but I couldn't find it ((FYI - that's a joke, NOT a slam)).

Maybe I missed it in these posts -- but I recommend this.

go through the valves -- open, then 1st valve, then 2nd valve, then 1 and 2 valve, then 1 and 3 valve, etc.

start slurring in the staff (ie. C below staff, to G, to 3rd space C) then back down -- go through all the valve combinations.

do long tones, use breath support, light lip pressure -- dont' force it.

then repeat with the next harmonic higher (ie in example above 4th space E), then back down, then all valve combos.

YOU don't need a book -- use what you have -- after awhile you can skip notes, and then do octave slurs (ie. C to C to C to C), go faster, then go slower, then go louder or softer -- and do crescendo and decrescendo in the slurs.

take the time, practice, be patient with yourself -- I bet smooth lip slurs doesn't happen overnight -- but in time it will become easy.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010