Best tips for lip slurs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Dec 11, 2010.

1. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Another thing to work towards is to internally minimize the distance between the nadir and apex of your slurs. I phrased it this way to include flexibility studies and glisses as well as slurs between two botes.

Conceptually, when you start you will experience the distance between the harmonic series as large. These can be diminished over time. When I perform slurs, I try to minimize the distance between the notes so to speak, which also helps keep me playing down on the notes as I ascend and up on them when I descend.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I find it AMAZING that there are still arguments about how slurs work. First of all, it is impossible to immobilize your chops to foster a tongue only slur. It is also impossible to immobilize the tongue for an embouchure only slur. The common denominator is our breathing and it is HERE that most trumpeters with issues suck. I would suggest that most trumpet players - even fine ones do not know enough about how the body works to be definitive about anything. What they do know is that the more that they learn to relax, the better everything gets - that relaxed also applies to the attitude.

Before having a tantrum, think about how mankind has even succeeded in surviving - ADAPTATION. We are the sum of all the parts and as good as the weakest link. The worst advice is second hand. Get your personal acts together and then you can serve as a good example. Be careful about advice during your building stage. Success is something that is determined after months and years.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    So does this mean that the notes in the upper register (above the staff) all rely on aperture and not airspeed?
    -----
    It's the "combination and coordination" of the aperture and that which is behind it, tongue, and air that makes slurring (or changing any note) work.
    As for Bernoulli, I'm pretty sure his principle will still apply even in the stratosphere.

4. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    It's the whole package, weather your over, under, or beside the staff!

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I also use Bai Lin "Lip Flexibilities".

They ain't easy, necessarily. :-) I comfort myself in my suckitude by remembering that even doing them poorly means that I can (and do) improve them next time and that they are a means to an end, not the end in themselves.

Playing the most basic of exercises until they are done well and properly has given me improvements in my playing of music that I would never have believed had I not done it myself. I no longer feel bad that I'm playing "easy stuff" because practicing the "easy stuff" until it is done well makes my playing of music better.

For example, if someone would have told me I would have lip slurred from a middle C to a high C with a minor tightening of my lips and a hint more air pressure (not speed, geeze), I would have thought they were nuts. Yet, I did it three times in two days.

Tom

6. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree with the big breath, but add lots of breath support. Blow through the slurrs.

bc

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Just a tad off topic in my reply, but you are absolutely correct! After my last lesson, I have changed my total approach. My teacher played the most SIMPLE etude and made it sound wonderful. So now it's my goal to emulate his technique and sound.
    No longer am I beating myself up with speed issues while playing...it will all come in time!
    My wife noticed that my playing was much more musical right away.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Notwithstanding that playing musically is a building process, how do we play more musically right away? We don't. If you are in the skill building process, YOU evaluate your progress in micro units (I did too).

The problem with that is that you are not an expert until the test of time and opportunity backs the implemented concept up. I am happy that you seem to be making progress. That does not mean that your progress WILL result in a process transferrable to anyone else. What a good teacher says to a student is based on those individual needs - not necessarily useful for another player. The claim "tongue only" is a perfect example of a player that got a visualization, declared it to be gospel although there is no anatomical chance of correctness. Those preaching that obviously have missed something. The same goes for air speed. It just doesn't work that way.

9. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I have learned over the years to avoid an argument with my wife...and when she claims I sound more musical (more like my teacher, actually), I'm not going to question her judgment.
    And this was the result of nothing more than slowing everything thing down and thinking of phrasing and being lyrical.

And yes, my progress is microscopic.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    This entire thread is a perfect example of why my teacher continually tells me to stop thinking so much. Look at the theories and scientific verbiage being tossed around here, contradicting each other. Spending too much time in this forumn can lead to a "HAL" like episode (you remember? 2001, where the computer went mad because it had conflicting orders?)

A lip slur is an easy thing to do ...... especially if your teacher is a top player and has an easy going attitude that says, "Oh, it's easy. Just do it like this...." And then he shows you. NOTHING beats that. When in doubt, ignore this forumn and listen to your teacher.:play:

Turtle