best tips for practice bfore audition!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Apr 8, 2011.

1. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway

3. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    What kind of audition?

4. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway

5. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    I would say it matters, yes.

You don't only practice hymn tunes if you are auditioning
    for lead trumpet with Tower of power....

tobylou8 likes this.
  6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    1) Slow deep breathing and relaxation techniques.
    2) Think of the people judging you as being in their underware

On second thought - forget recommendation 2); as we need to focus on relaxed (not heavy) breathing.

7. harveyhassanator

harveyhassanator Pianissimo User

Sep 5, 2010
    Britain
    norlands is right, it depends on what your auditioning for. No point in practicing endurance if its scales and a written audition where as you will need endurance for a lengthy audition with many pieces...

8. Agalego93

Agalego93 New Friend

Mar 30, 2011
    Fall River, Massachusetts
    I really would take it easy. I had an audition recently and failed it because a) I was nervous as hell because it was the school I really wanted to go to, and b) I had a jazz band performance 2 days before, and Im an overachiever when it comes to my sound and how famous groups and people have played and try and pay tribute to them by sounding like a player would when the piece was written. Never practice in the mindset that you have an audition coming up. Nervousness is your absolute worst enemy, and If you are a perfectionist fool like me, it can even happen when you're practicing. I would practice only lightly. If you get screw up during practice chances are you will freak out and worry, which the worrying will cause you to screw up even more.

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    If you don't know whether it matters, then.......just go and audition.

Use your 6A4a.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm not sure I'm a great source of knowledge for this because I really bombed (and I mean seriously crashed and burned in a glorious way) my last serious audition, but I think there were some key components that went into it that contributed to why I did so poorly, and as a result, looking back I can see some things I did wrong.

First and foremost for me was that there were a couple of tunes on the list of audition music that I was struggling with a bit, and that lack of confidence contributed heavily to my bout of uncontrollable nerves that ended up wrecking the whole thing. On top of the fact that I didn't do nearly enough sight reading prior to the audition, (I spent far too much time on music prep) between that and the nerves, I was a flustered mess and I don't think I could have successfully sight read middle school level stuff, much less what I was trying to sight read for the slot I was hoping to win.

Speaking of nerves, I think you should schedule 2-4 mock auditions for people you know who will critique you for exactly what you play. I failed to do this, but a friend of mine, now in Pershing's Own, did this prior to his audition for his current position. He said it helped him to get a handle on his nerves when it came time for the real thing because he was familiar with how it felt and could deal with the nerves in a proactive way.

Aside from that, do everything you can to be as prepared as you can. The thing that will hinder you worse than anything else IMO is knowing you are going in underprepared because that lack of confidence on top of the nervousness it will undoubtely cause will do more harm to your chances than anything else.