Best. Trumpet. Tips. Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garrettmarvel, Jul 31, 2009.

1. garrettmarvel

garrettmarvel New Friend

Jan 21, 2009
    so recently i read a post somewhere that had a phenomenal tip for practicing and working to increase your range (do single note blowing exercises as loud as possible, to increase breathing potential and abdomen strength: this has helped me immensely).:thumbsup:

SO i thought i'd start a thread for people to post their top best and favorite practice and playing tips. if one already exists, my bad for not looking very hard... please post link.

i'm looking forward to everyone's ideas and responses!

garrett
    :play:

2. CHAMP

CHAMP Piano User

Nov 16, 2005
    get ready to have spread chops with your tip...

my tip is to play music ALWAYS...even if your doing a stupid excercise...

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Practice, Practice, Practice!!!!!

4. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Do sit ups... go for a long jog.

Never jog while playing trumpet at the same time.

My single note blowing exercises usually require a box of Kleenex tissues.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Garrett,
    success is measured in months or years. I don't know your situation so I will generalize:

A student practices 20 minutes 5x per week. They get your tip and play 25 minutes 7x per week and claim that helped immensely. My question is what helped, the exercize or the 2 additional days.

Scenario 2
    A student plays an hour a day 6 days a week. Out of that hour, 25 minutes is serious playing, the rest is face time (reading a magazine or watching TV while holding out long notes..........). The student gets a decent teacher and practices a set routine 45 minutes per day including your exercize. They get immensely better - what helped?

Scenario 3
    A student is practicing seriously 1 hour per day 6 days a week. They increase that to 75 minutes without your exercize and get immensely better. Would your exercize help more?

So the moral of the story is, unless you have a frame of reference, the claim that any specific thing helps is conjecture. I do not think that your exercize is "killer" unless accompanied by a ton of other stuff that would compensate for the BEATING that that exercize subjects the chops to!

What you practice depends on what you currently play. A lead trumpeter will have a much different routine than a symphony player.

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    In his teaching, Renold Schilke would use power exercises to build chops and sound.
    I took this from the Schilke Loyalist. Schilke Power Exercise
    Note that the sound should not distort nor should you ever cause yourself discomfort. I use these exercises and they have helped build endurance and when needed, extreme volume without strain.
    Those who took lessons from him say he could play at an incredible volume without distortion.
    RT

7. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    My man Rowuk

8. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Have a daily routine that works every part of your playing...just don't forget the music

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My best trumpet tip: "listen!"

10. rviser

rviser Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2008
    Man, super confusing. We have the Cat Anderson method which advocates practicing very very softly and doing the exercises at ppp. Now, we have Renald Schilke's method, which is advising to practice as loudly as possible at fff.