Best. Trumpet. Tips. Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garrettmarvel, Jul 31, 2009.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I don't think so. Practice the extremes, the between is easy when you've done the extremes. This applies both to dynamics and articulations.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Not confusing at all. These guys both taught pros. A mature professional embouchure can be dealt with in a different way than a weak beginners to intermediate. These methods are simply not suitable for most TMers!

That is always the problem with only reading the first half of a book and guessing the second half. With cheap literature, the good guy always wins................

Believe me, Renold Schilke did not advocate only playing loud. We need to get Ed Carroll in on this. He studied with Mr. Schilke!

3. garrettmarvel

garrettmarvel New Friend

Jan 21, 2009
    OK - so I found a few tips on a site suggesting 3 things to try... please feel free to comment on these ideas:

1. Lip Buzz (no mouthpiece) 15 minutes a day. This will help you to go to a closed aperture setting. Do it for 4 to 8 weeks and then you should stop. Too much buzzing can stiffen the chops some.

2. Put a pencil between your lips and push the lips together. The lips should hold the pencil straight out for 3-4 minutes a day. The muscles that really start burning are the ones you use to play high. Never do more than 4 minutes a day.

3. Work on soft playing. So soft that you almost can NOT hear it. That will help you learn to control a small lip aperture for playing high.

THOUGHTS?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My thoughts are that you have forgotten that we are musicians first and trumpet players second. I only read about high notes. Nothing for sound, soul, substance. When you have music in your head that REALLY needs high notes, you can generally play them. When the high notes are only on the piece of paper on the music stand, you have no clue.

Instead of getting better by subtraction, just get a teacher or practice well rounded. Without a teacher, you are taking a stab in the dark regardless of what we post. You never know if you are doing it right without a qualified observer.

5. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    The leadplayers I admire don't have a closed aperture. You don't need a small lip aperture for playing high. You need a strong embouchure and a good air support. Next to that you want flexible chops. To much lip buzzing and the pencil trick will only give you stiff muscles.

Here are some good tips from Maynard:

MaynardFerguson.com

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    That Maynard article was great. I must have read it before, or someone summarized it for me - gradually take the same song up a step at a time until it gets difficult.

Then stop and repeat the next day. Eventually your range of what is comfortable moves up without any "tricks".

7. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Rowuk. Right on. There's much more to musicianship than the high notes.:thumbsup:

8. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The best trumpet tip I ever got was to practice. Daily.

9. Microtrumpet

Microtrumpet New Friend

Sep 3, 2006
    Elmer, NJ/Fort Kent, ME
    My best tip is H.L. Clarke and Carmine Caruso builds it all. Listen and practice everyday.

10. garrettmarvel

garrettmarvel New Friend

Jan 21, 2009
    UGH. I know "Listen and practice daily" - I personally am already doing this. I'm looking for some novel insight or ideas. Don't just poo poo what I posted, give positive feedback or constructive thoughts. Tearing down is easy, building something is the challenge...