Best trumpets for high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetfart123, Nov 25, 2013.

1. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi;

Just wondering what are good attributes in a trumpet for getting high notes? I am wanting to play alot of Salsa, where you are having to hit high notes, and I will be buying a pro trumpet next year or the year after, so am trying to get some ideas, many thanks

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The best high note trumpet has one attribute you can count on. It will belong to someone who knows how to play them.

That said - Conn Constellation 36B, Kanstul (Kanstulation) Mariachi, Benge 3X, Schilke B5, Jupiter Ingram 1600I, Conn 40B "Vocabell", Schilke S42L (Faddis model)...

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    ...Jupiter 812R... Generally speaking, a "screamer" horn IMHO should not offer too much resistance, but some tight slotting. My preference is for a medium bore with lots of weight to leadpipe, valve block and tubing and very little weight on the bell... but tastes differ. Remember that Claudio Roditi did a lot of his screaming on a large-bore, medium-weight Ganter rotary!

But for Salsa... in my somewhat extended knowledge of trumpets, the Jupiter 812R has proved to be the best for that kind of music for me at least. And it's not too expensive.

4. trumpetfart123

trumpetfart123 Pianissimo User

May 9, 2010
    Ireland
    Nice one guys thanks for the info. I am currently playing a yamaha intermediate, and can reach high E, but still alot of hard work to do.

5. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    It's the player, not the equipment. You can play high on any instrument. My range ( which isn't that high, 2nd G above the stave) is the same on my trumpets, cornet and flugel (although not on the flugel with my normal flugel mouthpiece). So my suggestion is work on technique and then buy whatever instrument you sound best on.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Just practice.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey guys, first we all know it is the horn and the player has nothing to do with it, right? :-)

While tastes for high note horns vary, I think Barliman is right on target if you are trying to make a generalization. Some horns get very resistant above the staff. An example that comes to mind is the Bach Strad 37 with 25 leadpipe. Yes, there are some that can do it on such, but most folks will say they get tight up high (I like Strads so no flames please). Also you want fairly tight slotting.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I actually thought this was true until I tried the Harrelson SWE Summit. This one horn literally blows away that theory. So, it is the player, not the equipment, unless you're playing the SWE Summit, at which in THIS case IT IS THE EQUIPMENT.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you try this on a Harrilson SWE Summit, it would not be as hard, and you may even get a note or two above this.

10. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    Best trumpet for high notes is a piccolo trumpet.