best warmup or exercise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Jul 23, 2009.

1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    what would be the best warmup or exersice for begginer. i got a kid whos interested and hes been playin for like 2 years and its hrd for him to hit the high notes. for me it just came naturally. does anyone have a good exercise that trains your lips fro the high notes?

also when i make a typing error i cant fix it. i cant seewhere i am when typing. to fix a problem ill need to backspace. can somone tell me how to fix this problem?

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    RAK,

Are you a qualified trumpet teacher? With all due respect it seems to me like you haven't got a clue about trumpet teaching...I may be well wrong, that's the impressions given by the above post.

My personal opinion is:

1. It is very difficult to diagnose such a problem over the internet without some additional info and without actually seeing your student.
    2. Concentrating on high range is the last thing a beginner needs unless he is developing very fast, but then you would not ask for a "fix"
    3. What you student probably needs is a good daily routine, not just warm up. I make a clear distinction between those two. The first are all those exercise that every person decided to make to maintain and develop all the aspects of instrumental command like long tones, slurs, tonguing etc. A warm up is something we do to get the blood moving in our face muscles and make the gear get an appropriate temperature to avoid intonation issues causes by the change of the instrument's temperature. My own policy about warm up says that once should not depend on it. On the contrary the daily routine is something everybody needs to maintain certain level of playing.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    RAK,
    some players never will play high because they don't have what it takes: interest, ambition, maybe even a bit of talent. I think it is not good to let all players think that they have a chance. They need to know that they can EARN a chance.

The teacher does not need specific exercizes, they need a complete plan to keep the students interest in getting better, focussing attention on a well rounded education and developing a respect for music. If you have no idea what you are doing, just play duets. That will cause less damage and be more fun than senseless exercizes where you do not even know what to listen for.

The best thing would be for YOU to take lessons so that you too can develop an intelligent, structured approach to the instrument. Then you will also learn how to work with other people.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi RAK
    1)Long tones in one breath-Playing a single note verrrrrry soft to loud and back down to soft without major alterations in the sound. Don't get blatty or harsh when its loud or airy and weak when its soft.

2)Scales-all 12 major scales up and down.

3)And an exercise I call "The 7"
    Do one octave lip slurs up and down using all the valve combinations:
    Open "example" C-G-C-G-C
    You should also seek a qualified instructor if possible. While what I've recommended are good warmups, if they are executed incorrectly, then mechanical bad habits can easily develop. A good foundation established by someone who is skilled can not be overstated. Good Luck

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I've found that soft long-tones, lip-slurs using the harmonics of the horn such as 2nd line G slurred up to 3rd line B and then back to the G a few times using the 1-3 fingering then Ab to C using 2-3 and so on as high as he can comfortably eventually adding the 5th then the octave, practice arpeggios one octave up and down to top of his range, this is a start, as far as spelling, at the top of the screen is something called spell check, on my screen it's ABC with a check mark under it, just click on it and it highlights you're misspelled words, click on the highlighted words and it gives you the correct spelling.

6. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    Long tones, slurs, scales, arpeggios, chromatic scales, and the like have always been the best warmup for me.

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    At this point, there is no "Warm up" routine.
    Grab the bull by the horns, but be gentle. Start with, as described above.

"warm up" always makes me think of a redundant overplayed mindless, right out of the case routine that band-mates have heard you play 11,000 times and would love for you to warm up to something different, like "Three-Blind_Mice ok, now I know this is indeed a run on sentence, where's the emergency brake??!!

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I'll let the others deal with the music training part and I'll try to tackle the text editing part. There does seem to be an issue with the edit function when you create a new thread or reply to a previous post within a thread. However, this problem does not appear if you include a quote in your reply. So, there are two ways to deal with it:
    (1) Just go ahead and type with all of the misspellings, grammatical errors, incorrect syntax, and whatever else happens. Then SUBMIT your post or reply. Then immediately click on the EDIT button at the bottom (it only appears on the posts that YOU create) and your reply will appear again in a window where the editing works normally. Fix the problems and then SAVE.

(2) Pick one of the posts in the thread which is very short and click on the button at the bottom of the post that says "QUOTE". The reply window will appear with the previous post inside of

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

I heartily disagree. The first thing I teach my students is that they should do a standard, well designed, warm up EVERY DAY, FIRST THING. I wouldn't recommend 'Three Blind Mice', but I would recommend something that covers the basics to get things moving.

Trumpet playing, on a certain level, can be thought of as analogous to athletics -- you're dealing with muscles all over your body that need to be warmed up properly, not just slammed into service. You don't see Olympic sprinters just hit the track, full speed do you? Same principal here...

bigtiny

10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I don't know about sprinters, but musicians can easily be be denied the opportunity of warming up - whether by a tight schedule, lack of space or any reason...The above however sounds very much like daily routine to me.