best warmup or exercise?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RAK, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The very best thing you could do for your young trumpet player is get a good trumpet teacher. A well rounded playing schedule will let him develop all aspects of their playing including range. Also if a player deveops bad habits they will always struggle with the horn. Remember there are no short cuts

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Bob,
    I agree with everything except the last part. "There are no short cuts".
    Students usually come to me when they hit a brick wall and can only play up to a G above the staff or their endurance sucks.
    I've spent a lot of time correcting the bad habits of students who had little or (worse) incorrect instruction.
    I'm beginning to believe that a real short cut does exists.
    "Starting the beginning student with proper instructions developed by someone who knows what the heck they are doing".

3. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I do see the student once in a while. He plays the normal scale from C to C. I'm not really a teacher. Just a trumpet player. The guy that taught me to play says its all about warming up. don't know if that's true.

If you play duets i don't think that will make anyone better. I used to have an old book full of tricky exercises and warm ups that made me a better player. I lost it somewhere. :-(

I see. Isnt it called the cromatic scale?

the spelling problem is fixed:-) Ill try that exersice with him. I think it will work. the problem is he might not be able to go that high. Ill try it.

Thanks. Ill try all of those with him.:-):-):D

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi RAK,
    No this isn't the chromatic scale. But the chromatic scale is great to practice.
    Simply play "open" and work on slurs C-G-C-G-C
    Then do the same with the other valve combinations.

5. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009