Best way to approach growling?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by YamaMan, Feb 14, 2009.

1. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    I was taught that flutter tonguing and growling were the same... i learned that you flutter the tongue as you would in some spanish words...:-)

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Just a thought - Spanish speakers, as well as Scotsman, have this ability to roll their sylables (roll their rrs of you wish to be a little impolite) perhaps trying to immitate these speech patterns could help. I DO NOT believe that an ability to turn your tongue into a tube has a lot to do with trumpet growling - I've been sitting here growling and it feels like I'm getting the sensation down the edges of my tongue - that's the problem I guess, it comes easily so we tend not to analyse.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Unfortunately, you are not quite correct. My mother can roll her rrs and her tongue. My father could do neither. If it was a single allele gene trait then you would be right. But is not that simple. Check: Myths of Human Genetics: Tongue Rolling

There are indeed Spanish native speakers who cannot roll their rs. They compensate by using the throat, as do I.
    veery

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    There are two types of growls on the trumpet. Flutter tonguing is one way to growl. another is to hum while you play. The more you can hum a different pitch than the note(s) you are playing the more intense the growl. To get really nasty, use them both together.

5. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    Well I've been wondering about this for soo long and couldnt figure it out. After reading this thread, I first worked on trying to flutter the tongue while getting a free buzz. After a few minutes I was able to get that, then I added the mp and finally the horn. Been able to get my first growl, yippie yippie. Couldn't really sustain it any lenght of time. Now that I have an idea what to do I could always work on it from here out.

Thanks all

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Darrien,
    There you go. Like with most trumpet issues, the key is to divide and conquer. Break the problem down into its basic elements and then succeed through basic addition!

Congratulations!

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I firmly believe that flutter tonguing is NOT growling. They sound very different and are used in different situations.
    For example: I am playing in Seussical right now and there are calls for growls and flutters. This means that the composer specifically wanted two different sounds.
    I rarely every flutter tongue unless it is called for. To me the sound is much less appealing than a dirty growl when used in improvisation.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd be in trouble if someone asked me to do both!! I'm one of those who can't even come close to rolling my tongue...I have to growl...

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I am in a similar boat with Veery. I have never been able to double or triple tounge , growl of flutter tounge much. Have a short tongue, can't roll r's, can't whistle much, have trouble pronouncing 'L"s and words like Thistle, so it's a wonder I have been able to play all these years and makes something out of it. Must be congenital.:-(

10. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    fluttering as I learned in other thread was technique I and people around me reffer to as rolling the tongue (I am not english speaker, so I never encountered term fluttering before), while growling is what we call playing from the throat along the buzz, basically it is to provide some sort of underlay to the main tone. So it definately cannot be the same thing.

The reason I opened this thread however is because I have problem with growling. When I want to growl my tone slips one slot down. For eg. form bB to F. But if I want to overcome it with thighteing the lips than unusual vibratio occurs, much like fluttering but my tongue is still.

Also I have no spit problem while growling, unlike when I flutter than I have excesive spit