Best Way to Handle Allergies

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by talcito, Sep 5, 2004.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    With allergy season coming on in my area, I was wondering the best way to deal with allergy symptoms. I find my lips to to swell slightly during this season.

Would the usual medications used for this problem cause dryness of the lips?

2. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I have a BIG problem with allergies. I take Allegra D. I does wonders. As for your chops, use DCT. If you've never seen it, it's a lip balm like carmex. you can find it in wallgreens.

3. Gnostic

Gnostic New Friend

Oct 24, 2003
    :)

4. stewmuse

stewmuse Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2004
    NW Chicago
    Allergies blow... and I don't just mean your nose. I HATE having bouts of nasal drip and/or congestion. I find that I also have to pound lots of water when my nose is leaky. Similarly, I will put vaseline on my chops and the area between my upper lip and nose to help alleviate some dryness and friction from constant nose blowing... like yesterday. Blah...

5. shinytrumpet

shinytrumpet New Friend

Sep 12, 2004
    CT
    If your allergies are bad enough, I'd say take the shots, although they do now have a patch or something like that to take the low-dose allergens in. It definitely builds up the immunity. I took the shots for years when they told me I'd be done before college. That wasn't the case so I quit taking them once college started. But there's nothing worse than nasal congestion when trying to play the trumpet. Nasonex works nice, but the spray is pretty gross.

Matthew

6. Yoder

Yoder Piano User

Aug 2, 2004
    Digital Domain
    A cortizone shot always helps me, but I get the shot for SI pain so it is a secondary effect. I tried green nettle for a couple of years and it worked wonders. They do say that you need to start the green nettle prior to the allergy season. I don't suffer much from allergies now, but the rest of the family likes Flonaze (cortizone inhaler) and the one drug they just made over the counter. Ephedra was great until they banned it. Standing on your head for five minutes a night and using hot packs really helps with the drainages. Drink lots of fluids too. 8)

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, allergy season hit down here, and right now I'm on Claritin-D, and using Carmex for the lips. Claritin takes about 2 days before it becomes effective (might be sooner for you, depends on body chemistry), but I'm doing a lot better now.

8. C cup

C cup New Friend

Oct 3, 2004
    I had terrible allergy problems my whole life (45 years). Then I got on Nasonex ( which is a topical steroidal nasal spray.) I have not had one problem in 3 years. It is truly unbelievable. Ask your Doc!! Playing trumpet could be a real problem with all the pressure in your sinuses. Not any more.